Supporting cat owners volunteer - Medway Towns - Neutering Only
Cats Protection is the UK’s leading feline welfare charity and our vision is a world where every cat is treated with kindness and an understanding of its needs. Cats are at the centre of everything we do and our objectives are: homing, neutering and educating people about cats and their care. We help thousands of cats across the UK each year thanks to our network of dedicated volunteers, staff and supporters.
A bit about this role
This role concentrates on building relationships with members of the public, encouraging them to consider alternatives to placing their cats up for adoption. You will focus on providing information and support to existing owners who may be experiencing issues with their cat. You’ll also help potential new cat owners who are seeking advice before getting a cat.
You’ll build relationships within the community to engage with cat owners and potential cat owners, for example with vets, other charities, Citizen’s Advice, local authorities etc.
What can you expect to be doing?
- Providing information and support to cat owners who may be considering rehoming their cat due to a change in circumstances or cat behaviour issue
- Offer a signposting service, using a comprehensive resource library, information, guidance and support
- Communicating with members of the public to offer support regarding cat ownership by using a variety of mediums eg email, video calls, social media
- Effectively use in-house systems to record outcomes and provide feedback
- Linking with community groups, partners and charities to share key messages about cat ownership
- Linking with other Cats Protection volunteers and employees to share key messages and experiences
- Attending community events (in-person and virtual) to promote key messages
You will develop new skills, expand your knowledge and make a significant contribution to improving the lives of cats and kittens in your local area. You’ll have access to comprehensive resources around cat ownership and the support of other volunteers and Cats Protection teams. You will provide an important link between members of the public and Cats Protection. You will be instrumental in helping encourage people to consider alternative options to relinquishing their cat into care. You will be part of a dedicated team of volunteers and will meet new people.
We’re looking for someone with
- A calm, friendly manner
- Good customer service and communication skills
- The ability to speak to and influence people from all backgrounds
- A passion for meeting new people, building relationships and networking
- Willingness to be part of a team
- Good IT skills
Our supporting cat owners volunteers usually spend four to 10 hours per week in this role, which is flexible and can be shared by more than one volunteer if needed.
Support, guidance and keeping you safe
At Cats Protection we believe our volunteers should be happy and confident in their roles. We provide support and guidance from our National Cat Centre and through our regional and local volunteer groups and teams. We offer engaging online and face-to-face training, expenses and have policies and processes to help volunteers get the most out of their time with us.
The wellbeing of our people is important and at Cats Protection we are committed to safeguarding children, adults at risk and all those that we come into contact with as part of our activities.
Thank you for joining us and sharing in this commitment and for everything you will do during your time with Cats Protection.