Leeds Community Foundation distributes vital grants and gives trusted advice to voluntary groups and charities across Leeds and Bradford to influence positive change. Driven by creating meaningful social impact for thousands of local people every year, Leeds Community Foundation distributed £5.8m in 2020/21. Since we gave out our first grant 16 years ago, we have distributed over £54m in grants.
We are seeking to grow our Board of Trustees to shape the future of our organisation. Our current Treasurer will be stepping down in 2022, after 7 years with us and we are looking to fill this role. The new Treasurer will have a comprehensive handover with their predecessor.
The Trustee appointed to the role of Treasurer is expected to fulfil all the requirements of the role of Trustee, in addition to specific duties linked with the role of Treasurer. These are to maintain an overview of the Foundation’s financial affairs, ensuring its viability and that proper financial records and procedures are maintained.
The Treasurer also serves as the Chair of the Resources & Governance Subcommittee (R&G) and is a member of the Remuneration and Nominations Subcommittee. In delivering the responsibilities below, it is anticipated that they will work closely with the subcommittee, the Finance Director and Finance Manager.
On average, we estimate a time commitment of around 8 hours a month covering formal and informal meetings, events and reading time.
The responsibilities of the Treasurer will include:
- Keeping the Board of Trustees informed about its regulatory and financial duties and responsibilities.
- Ensuring that the annual Trustees’ Report and Financial Statements are prepared and disclosed in the form required by the relevant statutory bodies, e.g. the Charity Commission and Companies House.
- Making a formal presentation of the annual Trustees’ Report and Financial Statements to the Board of Trustees and drawing attention to important points in a coherent and easily understandable way.
- Presenting financial reports to the Board of Trustees including budgets, management accounts and other financial statements.
- Chairing meetings of the R&G Subcommittee.
- Advising the Board of Trustees on the financial implications of the Foundation’s strategic plans.
- Advising on the Foundation’s reserves policy and investment policy.
- Overseeing the performance of the Foundation’s investment managers, as part of the role of the R&G Subcommittee.
- Working closely with the Finance Director and Finance Manager, who undertake the day-to-day work.
- Helping develop long-term financial policies to ensure the financial resources of the Foundation meet its present and future needs.
- Ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place and that finance policies are reviewed and updated regularly.
- Ensuring that any recommendations of the external auditors are implemented.
- Acting as an authorised signatory for bank and investment mandates.
In addition to the qualities needed by all Trustees, the Treasurer should ideally also possess the following:
- Relevant qualifications and experience i.e. qualified accountant.
- Understanding of financial accounting for charities.
- A willingness to be available to staff for advice and enquiries on an ad hoc basis.
FURTHER INFORMATION AND HOW TO APPLY
If you care about Leeds and Bradford and are ambitious to see communities prosper, we need people like you to join our Board and we would love to talk to you!
For further information about the role and how to apply, please visit our website and download our Trustee Recruitment Pack.