Treasurer Volunteer - Salisbury Branch
Cats Protection is the UK’s leading feline welfare charity and our vision is a world where every cat is treated with kindness and an understanding of its needs. Cats are at the centre of everything we do and our objectives are: homing, neutering and educating people about cats and their care. We help thousands of cats across the UK each year thanks to our network of dedicated volunteers, staff and supporters.
A bit about this role
At Cats Protection we help thousands of cats each year thanks to our dedicated and passionate volunteer groups and teams, all of which help our feline friends in a different ways. They take in stray and abandoned cats and ensure they receive the veterinary care and attention they deserve, help raise funds, promote neutering and help spread cat welfare messages. Our volunteer treasurers maintain the finances of local groups and teams, ensuring they hold the funds needed to continue their vital work. Cats Protection relies solely on donations from generous members of the public, and our volunteer treasurers help make sure these funds are spent in the most effective way.
What can you expect to be doing?
- Preparing budgets
- Keeping accurate financial records
- Reporting financial records via ‘Cashlog’ (Cats Protection supplied software)
- Paying invoices and volunteer expenses
- Being part of a team which ensures there are sufficient funds to meet expenditure
- Updating and advising others on income received, expenditure and available funds
- Managing and monitoring donations made to the group
- Following financial procedures e.g. Gift Aid returns and VAT claims
A bit more information about this role and the team
- Please note that any applications received in December will receive a response in mid to late January
What are the benefits to you and the cats?
You will develop new skills, expand your knowledge and make a significant contribution to improving the lives of cats and kittens by overseeing the finances of a local volunteer groups or team. You will meet new people, make new friends and be part of a dedicated team of volunteers.
We’re looking for someone with
- Experience or knowledge of accounting, book keeping and/or good numeracy skills
- The ability to collect and present information clearly and logically
- Good communication skills
- Willingness to be part of a team
- Basic IT skills to use Cats Protection systems - training and support can be provided
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to use own initiative
- Committee volunteers need to be aged 18+
Our current volunteer treasurers usually spend between 2 to 4 hours per week in this role. More hours may be required at certain times, such as towards the end of the financial year but support is always available.
At Cats Protection we believe our volunteers should be happy and confident in their roles. To make sure this is the case, we provide support and guidance both remotely from our National Cat Centre and face to face through our regional and local volunteer groups and teams. We also offer varied online and face-to-face training and have wide-ranging policies covering all aspects of volunteering. We hope the support we provide will ensure our volunteers have a great experience with Cats Protection.