Cat Welfare Team Leader Volunteer
Cats Protection is the UK’s leading feline welfare charity and our vision is a world where every cat is treated with kindness and an understanding of its needs. Cats are at the centre of everything we do and our objectives are: homing, neutering and educating people about cats and their care. We help thousands of cats across the UK each year thanks to our network of dedicated volunteers, staff and supporters.
A bit about this role
Without the passionate and committed teams of volunteers across Cats Protection we wouldn’t be able to help the thousands of cats and kittens each year that rely on us for help. Our Cat Welfare Team Leaders have the important role of coordinating, encouraging and supporting teams of fosterer volunteers and cat care volunteers. They help make sure volunteers with direct cat care roles are happy and confident and provide advice and guidance when needed. This incredible teamwork means we are able to help more cats and kittens in need.
What can you expect to be doing?
- Volunteering alongside colleagues including the Branch Coordinator, Cat Welfare team, Branch Development Manager and Vet team to ensure that CP cat care policies, procedures and standards are applied in branch
- Support fosterers to follow Cats Protection cat welfare policies and procedures
- Acting as the main point of contact within the branch for cat welfare and ensuring that welfare updates are shared and implemented effectively
- Supporting the branch by ensuring that accurate and up to date records of all cats helped are maintained, using specified Cats Protection systems
- Attending relevant Cats Protection volunteer training sessions and encouraging other volunteers to do likewise
- With the other volunteers, recruit, induct and support all branch fosterers and cat care volunteers using Cats Protection processes
- Represent the branch at relevant meetings
- Play an active part in the branch committee, being part of the branch team leading on cat adoption information and updates
- Collaborating with the Cats Protection Cat Adoption Team Leader to ensure the highest standards of cat care are applied in line with Cats Protection policy and procedures
Please note: A full UK driving licence will be needed for this role as you will be required to travel to fosterers and deliver equipment and resources as necessary.
What are the benefits to you and the cats?
You will make a significant contribution to improving the lives of cats and kittens by leading and supporting other volunteers in direct cat care roles. You will develop new skills, expand your knowledge and will also meet new people, make new friends and be part of a dedicated team of volunteers.
We’re looking for someone with
- A willingness to follow Cats Protection policies and procedures
- Basic knowledge and experience of cat welfare
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to engage with people on all levels, to build strong and effective relationships
- A willingness to develop themselves and others and to update knowledge and skills as necessary
- Good administration and organisational skills
- Basic IT skills to use Cats Protection systems - training and support can be provided
- The ability to handle sensitive issues with objectivity and pragmatism
The time expectation for this role will vary depending on the number of volunteers and cats in care. Our Cat Welfare Team Leaders usually spend between 10 to 12 hours per week in this role which is flexible and can be shared by more than one volunteer if needed.
At Cats Protection we believe our volunteers should be happy and confident in their roles. To make sure this is the case, we provide excellent support and guidance both remotely from our National Cat Centre and face to face through our regional volunteer groups and teams. We also offer varied online and face-to-face training and have wide-ranging policies covering all aspects of volunteering. We hope the support we provide will ensure our volunteers get the most out of their time with Cats Protection.