Into the Wild Trip Volunteer
Yes Futures is a multi-award winning charity, run by experienced, qualified teachers. Our vision is a future where all young people are confident, resilient and lead fulfilling lives.
Our Into the Wild weekend is a three-day residential trip for secondary school students taking part in our personal development programmes. Stepping outside of their comfort zone, students come together with other schools over the action-packed weekend, taking on practical outdoor challenges such as rock climbing and rafting! Both the programme and the residential weekend are designed to boost young people’s confidence, resilience, communication and self awareness skills, helping them to thrive in and out of the classroom.
This autumn, we are running our Into the Wild trip from Friday 8th - Sunday 10th October at PGL Liddington, near Swindon. We are looking for volunteers to support the students as assistant group leaders to ensure they get the most out of the weekend!
You will be supporting the students on their activity sessions (which are all led by trained PGL instructors). The trip is a chance to meet other like-minded volunteers, develop your skills and have a fun weekend away in the British countryside. You can even have a go on the activities yourself, if you wish (we love seeing our volunteers zip down the zipwire)!
Roles and responsibilities include:
• Assisting staff and students to encourage the participation and engagement of the students throughout the weekend
• Ensuring the development of the students’ skills and talents by assisting with reflection sessions, feedback and reward systems
• Supporting young people with the activities, particularly those who need extra mentoring or guidance, with the supervision of trip leaders
• Organising and communicating with our students to ensure they are aware of timetables, agendas, bedroom arrangements and clothing requirements for activities
• Escalating any behavioural or pastoral issues to the trip leaders
Transport, accommodation and food is covered for all volunteers for the entire weekend, which runs from Friday morning to Sunday evening. Participation in the activities is optional, and full support and detailed briefings will be given by both PGL and Yes Futures staff.
Experience of working with young people is useful, but not essential – just bring your enthusiasm and willingness to get involved!