Learning Gardens Volunteer
1 day left
- Long Term
Learning Gardens Volunteer
RHS Garden Wisley, Woking GU23 6QB
What will a Learning Gardens Volunteer do?
As Learning Gardens Volunteer you will join the Education and Learning Team who inspire school students who visit Wisley. We provide free guided school workshops for thousands of students each school term throughout the seasons. The team uses an explorative approach to school sessions, allowing learners to have unique and memorable experiences in all parts of the garden in many different contexts.
- You will be helping with day-to-day garden maintenance work of the gardens used by the Education and Learning Team for engagement with groups; primarily weeding, mulching, planting, seed sowing, cutting back and deadheading.
- Supporting the horticultural educator with ideas on how to best keep and use the space in the teaching garden, new Hilltop learning garden, and school allotments to aid in the best possible experiences for schools and other groups who visit these spaces.
- To engage with and assist school groups and others who are using the space while you are gardening as needed
- Becoming familiar with, and then following, RHS Health and Safety Policy at all times, as well as any Covid-19 restrictions.
- To be an ambassador for the RHS and the work of the Education and Learning Team
This role will suit people who…
- A passion for horticulture and gardening.
- Enjoy working in an outdoor situation
- To be reasonably physically fit (garden tasks can be physically demanding)
- Good communication skills when dealing with all ages.
- Good customer service skills
- Enjoy educational engagement with school children and groups.
What’s in it for you?
- Spend time with like-minded people while gardening the day away outside in an enjoyable environment
- Being part of a team that are passionate about engaging young people with learning outside, gardening, and plants to inspire a love for green spaces.
- Engage with schools and groups who are visiting and share the ongoing developments and learning opportunities in these educational spaces.
- The general expectation is committing to one day a week from 10 am – 2pm, day to be decided but would normally be Monday – Friday.
- You will receive a Volunteers Handbook, RHS uniform, ID, as well as Health & Safety training, Safeguarding training and other instruction appropriate to the tasks you will be undertaking.
- You can claim back out-of-pocket transport expenses up to a max £15 (round trip) for public transport, or a 30 mile round trip at 45p per mile per volunteering day.
- This role is expected to be for a period of two years and then will be reviewed
To apply please visit our website via the link.