1 day left
- Long Term
RHS Garden Wisley, Woking GU23 6QB
What will an Education Volunteer do?
As an Education Volunteer you will join the Education and Learning Team to help inspire school students who visit Wisley. We provide free guided school workshops for thousands of students each school term throughout the seasons. The team uses an explorative approach to school sessions, allowing learners to have unique and memorable experiences in all parts of the garden in many different contexts.
- School visits at Wisley:
- To assist with the preparation of resources for workshops.
- To assist the Education Officers with the set up and tidy up of the workshop and resources.
- To assist the Education Officers with the delivery of the workshop or activity or if you wish to deliver certain activities yourself.
- Speaking to and working with the children and accompanying adults.
- To help with the operations of the day by assisting groups entering and exiting the garden, lunchtime and toilet transitions, and helping navigate groups around the garden during a workshop.
- To assist with creating a safe, positive, and memorable experience for the visiting groups.
- To help the team in monitoring and evaluation tasks of school groups on the day as needed.
Additional educational engagement opportunities at Wisley:
- To assist with the set-up and take-down of educational events and activities throughout the year (term time and school holidays)
- To assist with the guidance, organisation, and logistics of educational engagement offers
- To assist in delivery, or if you wish to deliver certain activities as requested by the team for educational events
- Be an ambassador for the RHS and the work of the Education and Learning Team and answer any questions from the public.
- Becoming familiar with, and then following, RHS Health and Safety Policy at all times, as well as any Covid-19 restrictions.
This role will suit people who…
- A passion for horticulture and gardening.
- Enjoy working in an outdoor situation.
- Enjoy working in a team.
- To be reasonably physically fit (some workshops require a lot of walking to different sites in the garden).
- Experience of teaching or working with school-aged children.
- Good communication skills when dealing with all ages.
- Good customer service skills
What’s in it for you?
- Sharing a passion for outdoor learning and plants with young people while having an enjoyable day
- Being part of a team that are passionate about engaging young people with learning outside, gardening, and plants to inspire a love for green spaces.
- Helping to make school visits to Wisley a special experience.
- Enjoy volunteering in purpose learning studios and teaching garden located in the beautiful garden of Wisley
- If you wish to help with school visits, we are looking for volunteers to work on a weekday from 9.30am to 2.00pm, with a half hour break for lunch. To fulfil our needs we ask for a commitment from our volunteers of one day a week during school term time.
- If you wish to help with engagement outside of the school visits, we will have an annual calendar of opportunities and time expectations if you’d like to volunteer for these activities.
- This role will require a DBS check and safeguarding training.
- You will receive a Volunteer Handbook, uniform, ID, Health & Safety training, and other relevant training appropriate to the activities you will be undertaking.
- You can claim back out-of-pocket transport expenses up to a max £15 (round trip) for public transport, or a 30 mile round trip at 45p per mile per volunteering day.
- This role is expected to be for a period of two years and then will be reviewed
To apply please visit our website via the link.