Visitor Experience Volunteer
Visitor Experience Volunteer
RHS Garden Wisley, Woking GU23 6QB
What will a Visitor Experience Volunteer do?
As a Visitor Experience Volunteer you will provide an informative and warm welcome for all our visitors whatever their background and gardening knowledge. You will describe points of interest; make recommendations for what’s looking good in the garden and what to look forward to, while ensuring visitors have an enjoyable and memorable visit.
- Being a friendly face for all our visitors, answering any questions and encouraging them to get involved.
- Recognising the specific needs of all our visitors by providing a tailored welcome for children as well as adults, from beginner to the most experienced gardener.
- Giving tours of garden highlights and Behind the Scenes at RHS Hilltop, helping run workshops, being available in the garden and providing information and directions.
- Developing a good knowledge of RHS Garden Wisley (through training and buddying with existing volunteers and staff) bringing the history and stories of the RHS Wisley to life.
- Using and looking after the resources and equipment in the new Atrium exhibition. Keeping items and exhibits clean and tidy, replenishing missing items and reporting any gaps or damages.
- Being familiar with, and enthusiastic about exciting new projects (such as restoration of the historic Laboratory building).
- Putting yourself in the shoes of the visitor and opening their eyes to the wonders of Wisley.
- Improving the visitor experience by sharing your ideas, knowledge and experience.
- Attending training days and update meetings.
- Acting as an ambassador for the RHS, promoting membership, fundraising, events and encouraging repeat visits.
- Becoming familiar with, and then following, RHS Health and Safety Policy at all times, as well as any Covid-19 restrictions.
This role will suit people who…
- Have good communication skills when dealing with people from all backgrounds and all ages, including children.
- Have a friendly nature and good customer service skills.
- Have a creative, enthusiastic and friendly approach and enjoy talking to a wide range of people.
- Enjoy learning new things and sharing them with others
- Have a passion for horticulture and gardening
- Have an interest in history, heritage and gardening science (desirable but not essential)
- Have a reasonable level of physical fitness (you need to be able to stand and chat with people, or walk with them)
What’s in it for you?
- Becoming part of a friendly and dedicated team
- Meeting people from all walks of life and making new friends.
- Enjoying new experiences and learning something new every day.
- Making an impact on visitor enjoyment and sharing your knowledge.
- Improving your communication skills with training and day-to-day experience.
- Enjoying being in a centre of excellence and a garden for all seasons with spectacular views.
- We are looking for volunteers who can commit to at least one day a fortnight (and preferably on a weekly basis) notwithstanding holiday and sickness.
- This role is available seven days a week.
- A typical day would 10:00 to 16:00 i.e. (5 hours volunteering plus an hour for lunch)
- You will be provided with RHS Volunteer uniform and training
- You are able to claim back transport expenses up to a max £15 (round trip) for public transport, or a 30 mile round trip at 45p per mile per volunteering day
- This role is expected to be for a period of two years and then will be reviewed
To apply please visit our website via the link.