Children and Young People's Buddy
Are you kind, committed and fun? We are looking for people to volunteer as Buddies to young people with additional needs in East London.
A Buddy Volunteer is someone who supports a child or young person with complex needs to develop skills, friendships and local connections. The role entails meeting up with your young buddy and doing fun things out in the community with them! This could be going to museums, gigs, art classes, bowling, laser quest… The possibilities are endless! You will both enjoy doing things together, because we match you based on your common interests and personality types.
We have projects that run in Hackney, Newham, Redbridge and Tower Hamlets. Our projects vary in age of the young people and commitment: some projects requiring a few hours a week while others require once every two weeks. So there will be a volunteering role that is flexible and suits you. This is a long term volunteering opportunity (minimum 6 months commitment).
We are particularly short of male volunteers and have a list of young boys waiting for a buddy to go out and do fun things with. If you are a man who wants to give back to the community in a fun way, you could help and befriend one of these young people and really make a difference to their life.
We welcome volunteers from all backgrounds.
We are looking for:
- Volunteers who understand the value of giving a person choice, independence and dignity
- Willingness to develop or learn new skills in order to best support one particular young person
- Reliability and good communication skills
- A sense of fun and adventure!
What you can expect from Us
- Full Training and ongoing support, as well as ‘upskill’ opportunities
- Reimbursed expenses
- Joining a family of wonderful volunteers
- A reference at the end of your commitment
- Lots of fun!