Innovative award-winning local charity seeks dynamic new Trustees
CCM is led by a Board of Trustees who are responsible for strategic leadership, overall governance, and financial oversight. The day-to-day operations of the charity are led by our full-time Services Manager who reports to the Board. CCM has its own premises in central Chelmsford which is our usual location for meetings. For the time being, all meetings are held remotely via video conference.
The Board of Trustees is appointed to serve for a twelve-month term at each Annual General Meeting. All trustees are invited to stand for election to a further period of service prior to the AGM. The Board is led by the Chair of Trustees, assisted by the Vice Chair. Financial matters are managed by the charity’s Treasurer, also a trustee. Subject-specific sub-committees are convened from time to time.
Ordinarily, the Board meets monthly on a Wednesday evening though, at present, meetings are held twice a month as trustees lead the charity through the current pandemic. We aim to return to monthly meetings as soon as we feel confident to do so.
The role does not offer remuneration, but necessary expenses may be reimbursed. In addition to attending meetings and drafting minutes (on a rota basis), we expect that the time commitment will be approximately 10 hours per month, although this will fluctuate.
In addition to fulfilling the Charity Commission’s trustee requirements, all trustees are expected to read and sign our Code of Conduct, our Conflict of Interest Policy and to declare any material outside interests.
Duties of CCM Trustees
- Ensuring that CCM pursues its stated purposes, as defined in its governing document, by developing and agreeing a long-term strategy
- Ensuring that CCM complies with its governing document, applicable charity law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- Ensuring that CCM applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its charitable objects for the benefit of its members
- Ensuring that CCM defines its goals and evaluates performance against agreed targets
- Safeguarding and promoting the good name and values of CCM
- Ensuring the effective and efficient administration of CCM, including having appropriate policies and procedures in place
- Ensuring the financial stability of CCM
- Protecting and managing the property of CCM and ensuring the safe custody and appropriate use of the charity’s funds
- Following proper and formal arrangements for the appointment, supervision, support and appraisal of its staff and contractors
In addition to the above, each Trustee should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the Board of Trustees reach sound decisions. This may involve scrutinising board papers, leading discussions, joining or chairing sub-committees, providing advice and guidance on new initiatives, or other issues in which the Trustee has special expertise.
Trustees have a standing invitation to observe and to participate (at the sole discretion of the Services Manager) in any of the charity’s lifelong learning, social and fundraising activities. CCM expects its trustees to take a proactive role in overseeing the activities of the charity and to integrate themselves into the CCM community.
All trustees are subject to an enhanced DBS check.