2 days left
- Long Term
We are looking for an experienced and passionate Chair to lead our first board of trustees as we transition from a CIC (Community Interest Company) into a CIO (Charity Incorporated Organisation) enabling us to be more sustainable and also scale our impact.
We need someone who has a proven track record of Chairing a Board of Trustees as we undergo a transition to CIO status. We have recruited several brilliant, passionate and dedicated trustees, and need an experienced hand to guide the forming team, and to instigate effective and inclusive board practices.
We want someone who is resourceful, thoughtful and determined to help Chayn scale its impact and become a sustainable organisation.
We especially encourage applications from people of colour, LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, and people who have experienced other exclusion or marginalisation.
For logistical reasons, we are seeking trustees who are based in the UK
We feel it’s essential that trustees are aligned with our values and ethical framework: that all trustees have a passion for gender equality and a belief in co-designing with, not for. Chayn is an intersectional feminist organisation that believes in women’s rights and gender, religious, racial & class equality. We work hard to improve women’s lives all over the world and believe in a woman’s right to her own choices and decisions. We believe in a woman's rights to agency and make her own choices and decisions, regardless of their gender identity, sexual orientation, economic activity, religion, and more.
You will be closely involved in the running of the organisation, and supporting Chayn to achieve our goals. You will steer us, hold us accountable and proactively seek opportunities for the organisation.
We hope that our Chair will volunteer at least 8 hours per month with Chayn, which will include quarterly meetings (virtual), some administrative tasks, training/induction and calls with the team.
Trustees will build strong and supportive relationships with each other and with the executive team, and will have fun working with one of the most innovative and dynamic charities in the UK. We have already recruited four talented and passionate trustees, who will support the Chair in their role.
Purpose of the Role
- Leading the board and the organisation to enable it to fulfil its purpose.
- To ensure an effective relationship between:
- the board and the staff/volunteers
- the board and the external stakeholders/community
- Acting as a spokesperson and figurehead as appropriate.
- To supervise and support the CEO.
- Deal with Probity/Integrity of the Board
- Ensure the proper conducting of Board Business
- Establish, maintain and develop reporting and meeting procedures for the Board and its Committees
- Ensure the Board set frequency, purpose, conduct and direction of meetings
- Ensure the Board assign appropriate tasks and objectives to individual members and agree the working relationships
- Ensure the Board receives the timely information it needs
- Encourage and ensure all Trustees make a full contribution
- Plan and prepare the board meetings with others as appropriate.
- Chair board meetings ensuring that meetings are collaborative and inclusive
- The Chair may have a casting vote at meetings where they are in the Chair
- Review and monitor the Board’s effectiveness and conduct an annual performance appraisal of the Board and the Trustees
- Effectively manage any Conflicts of Interest
- Ensure adequate support and supervision arrangements are made for the CEO and any other staff/volunteers directly managed or reporting to the committee.
- Strong involvement in selection and appointment of Executive Team Members
- Ensure that a successor is found before the term of office finishes
Please click the application link for Chayn's full recruitment pack with more details about the organisation, the role and how to apply