We are looking for an experienced finance professional who is ready to support a ground-breaking organisation at the forefront of fighting gender-based violence, with a radically transparent and inclusive digital approach.
You don’t need to have experience as a treasurer, but you must have a proven track record in a senior charity finance role.
We want someone who is resourceful, thoughtful and determined to help Chayn scale its impact and become a sustainable organisation.
We especially encourage applications from people of colour, LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, and people who have experienced other exclusion or marginalisation.
For logistical reasons, we are seeking trustees who are based in the UK
We feel it’s essential that trustees are aligned with our values and ethical framework: that all trustees have a passion for gender equality and a belief in co-designing with, not for. Chayn is an intersectional feminist organisation that believes in women’s rights and gender, religious, racial & class equality. We work hard to improve women’s lives all over the world and believe in a woman’s right to her own choices and decisions. We believe in a woman's rights to agency and make her own choices and decisions, regardless of their gender identity, sexual orientation, economic activity, religion, and more.
You will be closely involved in the running of the organisation, and supporting Chayn to achieve our goals. You will steer us, hold us accountable and proactively seek opportunities for the organisation. We hope that our Treasurer will volunteer 6-8 hours per month with Chayn, which will include quarterly meetings (virtual), some administrative tasks, training/induction and calls with the team. Trustees will build strong and supportive relationships with each other and with the executive team, and will have fun working with one of the most innovative and dynamic charities in the UK.
- Oversee the financial affairs of the organisation and ensure they are legal, constitutional and within accepted accounting practice.
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures are in place.
- Monitor and report on the financial health of the organisation.
- Oversee the production of necessary financial reports/returns, accounts and audits.
- Liaise with relevant staff, committee members and/or volunteers to ensure the financial viability of the organisation.
- Make fellow committee members aware of their financial obligations and take a lead in interpreting financial data to them.
- Regularly report the financial position at committee meetings (balance sheet, cash flow, fundraising performance etc).
- Oversee the production of an annual budget and propose its adoption at the last meeting of the previous financial year.
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures and controls are in place.
- Supporting the Charity’s development of financial plans and budgets.
- Appraising the financial viability of plans, proposals and feasibility studies.
- Lead on appointing and liaising with auditors/an independent examiner.
- Substantial knowledge and experience of current fundraising and finance practice relevant to voluntary and community organisations.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and financial management.
- Excellent financial analysis skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly
- Passion for and commitment to the work of Chayn
- Collaborative approach
Please see supporting documents for Chayn's full recruitment pack with more details about the organisation and the role