CRUK Shop Volunteer - Haddington
This shop has shifts available Mondays to Sundays.
Our shop volunteers are helping us beat cancer right now.
In 2019/20, 14,000 volunteers gave 3.1 million hours of their time and sold items totalling £15million. These funds are helping us start new clinical trials and research treatments as we speak.
If you volunteer at a Cancer Research UK shop, you too could make a real difference to what we can achieve. Nothing we do would be possible without amazing volunteers like you.
You’ll also gain valuable skills to help develop your CV and experience. And you’ll volunteer alongside a wonderful team of passionate, friendly people who will support you every step of the way.
Volunteering is open to everyone and no experience is required. So, if you’re looking for a new challenge, we’d love to hear from you.
What do shop volunteers do?
Volunteering in our shops is varied, exciting and rewarding. No two days are the same and you have the chance to flex different skills regularly. There are always new opportunities to keep you engaged and help you grow and develop in your role.
While this list is not exhaustive, it gives you a flavour of some of the typical tasks in our charity shops:
- Serving customers, taking cash and providing good all-round customer service
- Sorting through donated items and pricing stock
- Working on window and shop displays
- Keeping the shop tidy, clean and well organised
- Interacting with the general public
- Following new health, safety and social distancing measures
You don’t need any experience to volunteer
You just need to be motivated, hardworking and enjoy being part of a team. There’ll be a full induction as well as ongoing training opportunities to make sure you’re fully confident and able to excel in your role.
Why should I volunteer?
Volunteering brings a wealth of benefits, both personal and professional.
- Every volunteer hour you donate means we can sell 6 items and make £20 of income. So, if you volunteer for a 7-hour day, this can generate £140. That means that every day you volunteer, you’ll be raising more funds to beat cancer.
- You’ll gain important skills that are hugely valued in the workplace such as teamwork, communication and using your initiative.
- You can boost your CV by working towards an NVQ in Retail with Derby College, and we'll provide you with a reference.
- It will allow you to get involved in your local community and to meet new friends.
- Our friendly CRUK team will be there to support you all the way – offering guidance and helping you build your confidence.
- It’s fun – you’ll gain real satisfaction from volunteering alongside our warm, friendly shop volunteers who will make you feel right at home.
What happens next?
Apply now and complete our application form. We’ll then get in touch directly to tell you more.
At CRUK we value diversity and we're committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone is able to be themselves and to reach their full potential. We actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds and cultures and believe that volunteers from diverse backgrounds will help us to beat cancer.
Job Type: Volunteer
Salary: £0.00 per year
All our shops have hand sanitiser stations in the doorway, cough guards at till points, as well as social distancing measures in place. Our staff and volunteers have face coverings, gloves, hand sanitisers, hand washing guidance, special cleaning rota.