NBN Trustee / Treasurer
NBN Trustee / Treasurer
The role of the treasurer can be summarised as follows:
- Honorary Treasurer - providing oversight on behalf of the Board for all of our financial activities; offering assurance to the Board where necessary; and a formal role in finance matters (for example, as a signatory with delegated authority; signing accounts etc.) The day to day financial activity is carried out by staff.
- Chair of the Finance and Management Committee (FMC) - chairing regular (currently quarterly) meetings of FMC and thereby providing Board support to the CEO on all financial and management matters. FMC does some business on behalf of the Board - so sparing colleagues the detail - and some by providing challenge and a sounding board for the team, before items reach the Board.
- Director of BioD Services – the role of Treasurer also means you will be a Director of the separate trading company BioD services Ltd. This is currently a low time commitment role.
The Honorary Treasurer’s duties include:
- Chairing FMC meetings and reporting back to the trustees at Board meetings;
- Acting as a counter signatory as per the bank mandate and limits as laid out in the financial memorandum
With the support of other members of FMC:
- Monitoring and advising on the financial viability of the charity;
- Overseeing the implementation of and monitoring financial systems;
- Advising on the financial implications of the charity’s strategic plan;
- Making fellow committee members aware of their financial obligations and take a lead in interpreting financial data to them.
- Overseeing the financial affairs of the organisation and ensuring they are legal, constitutional, within accepted accounting practice and in compliance with the governing document.
- Overseeing the charity’s risk-management process;
- Overseeing the production of necessary financial reports/returns, accounts and audits.
- knowledge and experience of current financial practice relevant to voluntary and community organisations.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and financial management.
- Good financial analysis skills.
- Knowledge of auditing and risk management
- Experience of handling financial matters and ability to fulfil the Treasurer’s responsibilities
- Ability to communicate information to the Board of Trustees and wider Network when required
If you are interested in joining the board of the NBN Trust as the new Treasurer and you have skills you think could help steer the charity, please supply the following:
A CV outlining your key achievements in previous and current roles
A covering letter detailing why you are interested in the role and why you believe your skills would support the NBN Trust
Details of two referees (who will not be contacted without your prior consent)
If you would like a confidential conversation with either our CEO or Chair about the role (before applying) please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com respectively to set up a time.
The closing date for applications is 6 September 2019 and interviews are likely to take place late September/beginning of October.