Volunteer Activity Mentor
Title: Activity Mentor
Supported by: Lead Community Connector and Volunteer Coordinator
Main purpose: To assist isolated disabled people to access social, leisure or volunteer opportunities in the community, supporting increasing levels of independence and social inclusion.
Activities could include:
- Support the client to plan a route to activity if required.
- Support the client to attend their chosen activity, this may include supporting the client to use public transport to and from the venue.
You will not generally be expected to participate in activities, unless this has been agreed in advance.
- Work with clients, Community Connectors and group leaders to support the client’s attendance at activities beyond your period of support.
- Boost the confidence of the client and encourage the development of independent living skills.
Participants would like Activity Mentors to be:
- Good listeners
- Aware of what someone can and can’t do- their limits
- Non judgemental
- Disabled / Disabled friendly- positive attitude
- Cool, calm, collected
- Communicative and able to share information
Type of role: This role requires an enhanced DBS check to be completed.
Volunteering location: Varied across Manchester, Prestwich and Bury.
This role offers an opportunity to
- Make a difference to disabled people’s independence and social inclusion.
- Gain experience of providing community based support.
- Gain experience of working for a UK Charity.
- Become part of a disabled people’s organisation who are experts in promoting the rights and responsibilities disabled people.
Training and Support:
Full support will be given to help volunteers understand and carry out all aspects of the role as appropriate. Volunteers will also be provided with:
- An induction on the history and aims of Breakthrough UK, information about our work and current issues for disabled people.
- Training on The Social Model of Disability
- Supervision every 6 weeks from Breakthrough’s Volunteer Co-ordinator
- Travel expenses will be reimbursed
- Employee Assistance Programme 24/7
Times and commitment: Bank/As and When.
Successful recruitment to this role will enable entry on to the Activity Mentor Matching Register. Full training and induction will then be offered.
Hours and client matches cannot be guaranteed. These are based on the individual requirements of each new cohort of clients.
Should you agree to a match with a client we expect a regular weekly commitment to attending the agreed activity for a period of 4 weeks.
Contact details for recruitment:
Address: Breakthrough UK, The Kevin Hyett Suite, The Abaraham Moss Centre, Crescent Road, Crumpsall, Manchester, M8 5UF
Office telephone: 0161 234 3950; Text messages: 0793 994 3383
Twitter Policy: @BreakthouUKLtd Twitter Community: @BUKCommunity
Breakthrough UK is a registered charity in England and Wales (1078009). It is also a company limited by guarantee. Registered company in England and Wales (3479742).
Apply for Volunteer Activity Mentor
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly