Inclusive Activity Volunteer – Redbridge, Ilford, Wanstead
Make a difference to local young people with complex disabilities by joining our team of volunteer befrienders. You will get to know your buddy’s interests, hobbies, likes and dislikes and together you’ll plan exciting and ambitious sessions.
Here are some of the things that volunteers have done last month (Feb 2019):
- Trying three new flavours of fudge at Greenwich Market (lemon sorbet fudge…interesting!)
- Articulate and Monopoly marathons at a board-game café
- Trips to the Cutty Sark
- Politics talk at the London School of Economics with a politics buff
Check out our new Instagram page to see more vollie/buddy activity pics: @sensebuddying
We’re on a mission to ensure that no young person in London misses out. We hope you will join us!
We’re looking for people who are:
- Fun, friendly and confident to meet and spend time with children and/or young people.
- Willing to develop the knowledge and skills to communicate with young people who may use a wide range of communication methods.
- Reliable and punctual, and able to commit to weekly buddying sessions for between at least 6 to 12 months
- Committed to providing support in a way that offers choice, independence and dignity.
- Enthusiastic, person-centred and excited to get out and about and build a one-to-one supportive friendship with a young person.
- Aged 18 and above
You can expect:
- A comprehensive induction to ensure you feel confident and prepared for the role. This includes one-to-one meetings, training events and mentoring for the first month of your buddying.
- Ongoing support: our buddying team is always on hand to support you in your role – we can help you create goals with the young person, discuss challenges, and provide activity ideas. We provide regular top-up training opportunities and regular individual meetings.
- Agreed out of pocket expenses to be reimbursed
Apply for Inclusive Activity Volunteer – Redbridge, Ilford, Wanstead
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly