The Anaesthesia Provider volunteer position, part of the Hospital, will be located on the Africa Mercy, the world's largest non-governmental hospital ship.
Summary: Provide independent anaesthetic care (without the supervision of another medical doctor) to patients undergoing surgical and diagnostic procedures as well as occasionally manage patients in the Intensive Care Unit.
About the role: Caring for our patients before, during, and after surgery is the main concern of our anaesthesia team. We aim to provide the best possible care to patients and this team is a key element to making sure surgeries are successful.
- Consultant, Board Certified Anaesthesiologist, Registrar level anaesthesia provider, or Certified Registered Nurse Anaesthetist (CRNA)
- Minimum five years’ experience (including anaesthesia training) is desirable
- Proficiency in spinal anaesthesia, ultrasound-guided regional anaesthesia, paediatric anaesthesia, difficult airway management (including awake fibre-optic intubations), and management of patients in intensive care is desirable
- Demonstrate organizational & management skills
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Fluent in English
Special Guidance for CRNAs:
- Mercy Ships is a remote environment where supervision by a physician anaesthesiologist cannot be guaranteed at all times. Certified Registered Nurse Anaesthetists wishing to work as an Anaesthesia Provider must understand and agree to work in this situation and be able to take full responsibility for their actions
- Certified Registered Nurse Anaesthetists (CRNA's) therefore must be prepared to work without medical supervision, including on call responsibilities. These responsibilities may include caring for infants and patients with difficult airways in the operating room, as well as caring for critically ill patients in the ICU
- CRNA's serving for the first time are expected to apply for an Anaesthetic Assistant position in order to assess their comfort and skill level before being accepted to serve as an Anaesthesia Provider
Questions about this information? Send us an email: email@example.com or call 01438 347 480
We recommend all interested applicants to submit an application at least six months in advance of your target service date.
For more about Mercy Ships UK, please visit www.mercyships.org.uk