Are you interested in coming with your family? This position qualifies for a family cabin on board! Get in touch today to find out more!
The Captain volunteer position, part of the Deck department, will be located on the Africa Mercy, the world's largest charity hospital ship.
Summary: Manage, oversee, and direct the safe navigation and operation of the assigned ship in a professional manner. Liaise with the ship's officers in all matters to ensure smooth management of the technical areas of the ship.
About the role: The maritime volunteers on-board the Africa Mercy are a vital part to making it possible to bring hope and healing to the people of Africa. If you have spent your career on the sea and want to use those skills to make a positive change in the lives of others, our ship could be your next great adventure!
About you: (we can help you obtain or update certain certificates if necessary)
- Certificate of Competency in accordance with STCW A-II/2
- Valid Crowd Management certificate in accordance with STCW A-V/2-1
- Valid Crisis Management and Human Behaviour certificate in accordance with STCW A-V/2-3
- Valid GMDSS Radio Operator's license in accordance with STCW A-IV/2
- Successful completion of ECDIS Type Specific - Manta Digital (obtained on board)
- Certificate of Proficiency as Ship Security Officer in accordance with STCW VI/5 is preferred but not required. However, must at least have successfully completed Seafarers with Designated Security Duties in accordance with STCW VI/6-2.
- Valid Basic Training certificate in accordance with STCW A-VI/1
- Valid Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats certificate in accordance with STCW A-VI/2
- Valid Proficiency in Advanced Fire Fighting certificate in accordance with STCW A-VI/3
- Valid Proficiency in Medical Care certificate in accordance with STCW A-VI/4
- Valid I/9 Medical Certificate (can be obtained on board)
- Valid Malta Flag State Endorsement (be obtained on board)
- Ability to speak and understand English effectively
- Two years' experience working at a senior management level in the current maritime regulatory environment is preferred
Questions about this information? Send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01438 347 480
We recommend all interested applicants to submit an application six months in advance of your target service date. For more about Mercy Ships UK, please visit www.mercyships.org.uk