Chair of Trustees
Orchestras for All is seeking a new Chair of Trustees to lead the board through the next stage of our journey to improve access to ensemble music-making for young people across the UK.
We’re at a pivotal moment in our organisation’s journey – so we’re looking for someone exceptional to guide us in our next steps. Our new Chair will be committed to and share our passion for our mission and will inspire the Board and staff team to succeed in meeting our strategic objectives.
The Chair of Trustees will:
- Take a leading role in supporting with the formulation and delivery of our strategy
- Develop the staff team and board of Trustees, assessing performance and ensuring the organisation is led by individuals with the expertise and enthusiasm to drive us forward
- Represent us at events, meetings and functions, acting as a confident ambassador
- Support the team in the delivery of annual fundraising targets
- Monitor progress against our strategic plan and annual budgets
- Assist in identifying opportunities and threats and agree approaches to mitigating risks
- Run meetings efficiently, maximising the contribution of all participants
- Ensure that decisions made at board meetings are implemented in a timely, ethical and effective manner
In relation to employed members of staff:
- Liaise with the Executive and Artistic Directors (and other staff members where appropriate) to keep an overview of current activity
- Provide line management to the Executive and Artistic Directors
- Help to find, recruit and manage future employees
- Act as final stage adjudicator for disciplinary and grievance procedures if required
A note on fundraising: There is no minimum limit set for Trustees to give financially while on the board. Instead, we encourage Trustees to get wholeheartedly behind our fundraising initiatives. We expect Trustees to attend our annual scratch orchestra fundraiser Musical Chairs, share information about fundraising campaigns with friends and family and remain on the lookout for potential new sources of funding for Orchestras for All.
Regardless of how you engage with the work of Orchestras for All – whether as a member of the National Orchestra for All or Chair of Trustees – we prioritise commitment and dedication to our work and expect you to approach your role in a highly collaborative way.
We are looking for a passionate advocate for our work, excited to be involved in the next chapter of Orchestras for All’s journey. We are looking for someone who is:
- Passionate about the power of the arts, an appreciation of their role in education and a commitment to using the arts to challenge social disadvantage
- Committed to our mission, our fundraising and building our profile
- Able to advocate for the organisation, with the confidence of other Trustees and the executive to be a strong, independent representative externally
- Willing to develop a strong working relationship with the staff team and to encourage active participation across all board members
- Able to bring innovative thinking, an entrepreneurial spirit and a keenness to think outside the box