Volunteer Dementia Befriender
Make a difference to the life of someone with dementia.
The Bromley Dementia Befriending Service offers one to one companionship for people with dementia to accompany them on outings and activities in the community. Befriending is provided by Volunteers who are trained and supported by our staff team. The service aims to improve the well-being of people with dementia, by reducing their risk of isolation, increasing their self-confidence and their ability to live an independent life; to live well with dementia.
Activities will be specific to the assessed needs of the person with dementia and will be decided with their agreement. They could include:
- support to continue with hobbies and personal interests or to discover new ones
- support to participate in leisure and community activities locally
- support to carry out day to day activities, eg a walk in the park or a shopping trip.
- providing vital respite to carers knowing their loved one is able to pursue their own interest/s
Why volunteer to become a Volunteer Dementia Befriender?
As well as contributing your time and experience to improve people living with dementia’s lives, you may benefit through:
- improved personal development
- increased self-confidence
- giving something back to your local community
- an opportunity to learn new skills and boost work opportunities
- a feeling that you are making a difference.
What we need from our Volunteer Dementia Befrienders:
We need you to:
- have patience and empathy
- have a commitment to delivering a high quality service
- able to commit time on a regular basis
- have good communication and listening skills
- know about or are willing to learn about dementia
- be able to attend our induction, follow-up training sessions and 6-weekly Volunteer Dementia Befriender team meetings
- commit to being matched with a person with dementia over at least a six month period
- have a commitment to work with people from all backgrounds with dignity and respect
- allow us to undertake a full DBS (criminal record) check.
What you can expect from the Bromley Dementia Support Hub:
- induction and ongoing training
- support from the Volunteer Befriending Worker
- peer support from other Volunteer Dementia Befrienders
- reimbursement of agreed out-of-pocket expenses.
Apply for Volunteer Dementia Befriender
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly