Volunteer Telephone Befriender
Volunteer Role Description
Role Title: Telephone Befriender
Community Inclusion Coordinator Lincolnshire (Contact information at end of document)
Location: Throughout Lincolnshire- we try and find locations as close as we can for volunteers.
Hours: 1-2 hours per week (Though these can be flexible hours by agreement of the Community Inclusion Coordinator.
Purpose of Role:
Carers FIRST is committed to placing Carers needs at the heart of service delivery.
We are recruiting Telephone Befrienders across all of Lincolnshire to provide a listening ear for those who care for family/friends.
- To attend and complete the training required by Carers First prior to initial contact with Carers.
- To provide telephone contact to those who care and offer reassurance along with the opportunity for someone to have a chat with a friendly person.
- Take responsibility for ensuring these phone calls happen either weekly or fortnightly.
- To ensure you keep a log of each phone and document adequate detail of each conversation.
- Feedback any concerns or issues you may have with the community inclusion coordinator.
This role will require you to have the following skills:
- Good listening and communication skills
- Confident when using the telephone
- Empathetic towards others and an interest in what others have to say.
- Remain positive
- Can continue during potential emotive conversations.
- Motivate and encourage those you are talking with.
- Keep appropriate documentation of the phone call.
- Attend and complete the required training.
- Meet with the Community Inclusion Coordinator on a regular basis for support sessions.
What we ask you to do:
- That you agree to book in advance the dates and times you are free to engage in this volunteer service
- Contact us if you cannot make a befriending session you have booked on to.
What we will do:
- Contribute to travel expenses relating to meetings and workshops where needed at 45 pence per mile
- Offer a reference either during or at the end of your volunteering role
- Offer training where appropriate