RNIB Outreach Self Management Volunteer - Scotland
Would you like to offer valuable support on a one to one and group basis to people from the Black African community with sight loss?
Do you live in Greater Glasgow and Clyde and are passionate about advocating self management?
We are looking for volunteers to attend meetings and support African clients to self manage and achieve employment, learning and leisure related goals.
What Will You Be Doing?
- Answering and making telephone calls
- Provide sighted guiding
- Using IT equipment and systems
- Visit people in their home
- Attend peer support group meetings
- Meet new clients with a staff member and interpreter
- Research and contact services on behalf of the client
- Attend community events
- Accompany clients to appointments
When will you be needed?
4 hours per week, flexible
- In your local area
- In customers homes
- local peer support group venues and local RNIB office
What Skills/Experience Are Needed?
- Approachable & empathetic nature
- Effective listening skills
- Experience of working with people
- Good spoken and written English
- Understand need for confidentiality
What Will You Gain from the Role?
- A chance to make a difference
- Working in an office environment
- Working with people with sight loss
- New experiences and skills
What Support Will You Be Given?
- Understanding Sight Loss Pack
- Induction; Expenses
- Supervision and help from your Manager
- Training as appropriate