Volunteer Visitor Assistant
Volunteer with us and be part of an amazing day out at SE London’s hidden gem! Whether you can spare a day a week or just 2 hours a month, we need Volunteer Visitor Assistants with great customer service skills who can help create a first class visitor experience. We particularly need people who are available on a Sunday which is our busiest day of the week.
Severndroog Castle is an 18th Century Grade 2* listed folly tower set in ancient woodlands on Shooters Hill in South East London. An urban oasis, the castle was built in 1784 by Lady James of Eltham as a memorial to her husband, Sir William James. The castle consists of two rooms and a roof-top viewing platform. Closed to the public in 1988, it re-opened in July 2014 to offer visitors a unique experience that includes breath-taking views across London and the surrounding counties.
As a Volunteer Visitor Assistant, you can be part of this experience by ensuring all visitors receive a warm, friendly and informed welcome. Duties are varied and include:
- Greeting visitors on arrival and issuing tickets
- Providing information about the history of the castle and its restoration
- Overseeing visitors on the viewing platform where you will be pointing out significant landmarks
In return we will offer you the chance to:
- Be part of a friendly and dedicated team
- Meet people from all walks of life
- Develop your communication skills
- Enjoy new experiences
- Engage with local heritage
- Enjoy stunning views across London and the surrounding counties
Training will include induction, shadowing and on the job training.
The organisation is largely volunteer run so your contribution, no matter how big or small, is invaluable.