Board Trustee - Ascension Eagles Cheerleaders, Newham
About the opportunity
We would like to recruit two new charity trustees to join the Board of Ascension Eagles Cheerleaders (AEC), a charity based at the Talent Central gym at Gallions Reach in Newham.
AEC was founded over 20 years ago to help combat the lack of opportunities for young people in the London Borough of Newham, one of London’s most economically-challenged boroughs.
We use cheerleading as a means of giving young people (aged 6 to 21 years) coaching, mentoring and practical life skills which can help our athletes to reach their full potential in every aspect of their lives and make a positive contribution to their communities.
About Ascension Eagles Cheerleaders
Through cheerleading, we make a transformational difference to the lives of the young people of Newham in East London. Cheerleading keeps them fit, enhances their citizenship skills and contributes to community integration.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for people who believe as passionately as we do that Newham’s young people deserve to have every opportunity for a bright future.
The population of Newham – our service users – are diverse and we want our Board to reflect that diversity; we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.
As an AEC trustee, you will be prepared to give your time to help AEC grow and develop; this means getting involved in practical ways – for example, attending occasional meetings in addition to the Board meetings, using your network or your knowledge, helping to draft documents, supporting fundraising etc.
We would particularly like to hear from you if you have experience of:
• providing and/or leading services for young people, especially sports-related services
• working with people with disabilities or special needs
• living in Newham.
What does it involve?
As a trustee you will help to support and guide the AEC management team to ensure the growth and long-term success of AEC, so that it continues to deliver benefits for the young people of Newham and surrounding boroughs.
This can include:
• Helping AEC to achieve the objectives laid out in the business plan
• Making sure the organisation is properly funded and is well-managed financially to ensure it is sustainable
• Advising the senior team on issues management
• Ensuring the charity meets the Charity Commission’s best practice standards.
Our trustee positions are unpaid and operate on a purely voluntary basis.
Ideally, we would like trustees to be in a position to make a three-year commitment to the role. We require them to attend six Board meetings a year - four face-to-face and two telephone meetings - each lasting up to two hours. In addition, we ask trustees to visit the gym or attend events at least three times a year, to make sure they keep connected to the great work our coaches and athletes do.
We are a busy Board, with lots of projects to support, so trustees will also be expected to join one or more of our sub-committees to help deliver specific projects.
What is the application/appointment process?
Our application process for new trustees involves:
• A written application outlining your relevant experience and why you want to become a trustee of AEC
• An invitation to our shortlisted candidates to visit Talent Central to meet with one or more members of the Board and a member of AEC’s senior team
• A second interview by telephone or in person with the full Board (may be required) and
• A criminal record check.
Once appointed, our new trustees will need to become familiar with the Charity Commission’s Charity Governance Code and principles of best practice.
Potential Board Members will need to:
• Undergo a criminal record check
• Commit to attending six evening meetings
• Have time between board meetings to give practical support to the Board and senior team
• Visit Talent Central or attend our athletes’ events at least three times per year and
• Commit to serving a three-year term.
• People who have experience of managing services for young people
• People with experience of working with people with disabilities or special needs
• Young adults
• People living in Newham.
Interested or have a question?
Drop Sue Winston (Chair of the Board of Trustees an email) to register your interest - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find our more about AEC and Talent Central
You can read more about AEC and Talent Central in our 2017 Annual Report.
Apply for Board Trustee - Ascension Eagles Cheerleaders, Newham
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly