Goods-in Volunteers for Crisis at Christmas
Crisis is the national charity for homeless people. We are committed to ending homelessness.
Every day we see the devastating impact homelessness has on people's lives. Every year we work side by side thousands of homeless people to help them rebuild their lives and leave homelessness behind for good.
Through our pioneering research into the causes and consequences of homelessness and the solutions to it, we know what it will take to end it.
Together with others who share our resolve, we bring our knowledge, experience and determination to campaign for the changes that will solve the homelessness crisis once and for all.
We bring together a unique volunteer effort each Christmas, to bring warmth, companionship and vital services to people at one of the hardest times of the year, and offer a starting point out of homelessness.
We know that homelessness is not inevitable. We know that together we can end it.
Role outline and the difference you will make
This is a voluntary role which sits within the Crisis at Christmas team.
Crisis at Christmas operates a network of temporary day and residential centres across London providing services and support for over 3,000 homeless and vulnerably housed people. We operate 10 centres over the Christmas period (22 - 30 December inclusive) serviced from our Warehouse and Operations centre. We rely on 10,000 volunteers who contribute their skills and time to make Crisis at Christmas happen each year.
The Goods-in volunteers work as part of the Resources Team and assists with receiving deliveries of gifts in kind donations. You will be helping to unload, count, and sort donations of food, equipment, and other essential supplies needed to set up and run Crisis at Christmas. You will also be helping to record information of the donations which arrive. This role provides exposure and practical experience of working in a warehouse setting, liaising with members of public and corporate donors.
What you will gain
- You will gain experience of working with a major UK Charity on a high profile and large scale project
- You will have the opportunity to be part of a team making a real difference to the lives of homeless people over the Christmas period
- Experience of working in a warehouse environment
- Experience within the gifts in kind team fundraising team
- On the job training and any other relevant training will be provided
- Informative and structured induction to the role and organisation
- One to ones with a designated supervisor
- Travel (within Greater London) and lunch expenses reimbursed
Core tasks and what you will achieve
- Receive deliveries of gifts in kind donations, unloading, sorting, and checking for quality
- Record details of donations on the resources system
- Meet members of the public dropping off donations
- Assist with the re-distribution of leftover items to charities and non-profit organisations post event
- Participate in meetings, volunteer training sessions, and ‘on-the –job’ training for a complete and rounded volunteering experience
The skills & experience we are looking for
- Good administration skills and attention to detail
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Good interpersonal skills, and the ability to work as part of a team in busy environment
- Empathy with the work and objectives of Crisis and the homelessness sector
- The physical nature of some of the duties means the post-holder must be able to undertake manual handling tasks involving bending, lifting, carrying and pulling. Equipment and training to support such tasks will be made available
All Crisis volunteers are asked to:
- Comply with Crisis policies including health and safety, data protection and code of conduct at all times
- To maintain the privacy and confidentiality of all accessible information about members and the organisation
- Be positive, productive and have the passion to help end homelessness