NCT Nearly New Sale Volunteer
The National Childbirth Trust (NCT) are a national charity who for 60 years have been changing lives of parents for the better. Made up of local regional branches, NCT work to help all parents-to-be and new parents feel supported, informed and confident through pioneering thought leadership, achieving important legislative and policy changes and continually listening to parents.
NCT Nearly New Sales differ from other commercial mother and baby sales as they raise money for the charity to support vital parent support services both nationally and locally, they help to fund our helpline and evidence-based research. Locally, NCT Nearly New sales support activities as wide-ranging as Baby Cafes, Bumps and Babies groups and toddler messy play days.
The Aylesbury, Thame and District NCT Branch are looking for volunteers to help support our next Nearly New Sale (NNS) on Saturday 3rd November.
Before the Sale Starts
You will be required to arrive at 8.30am and be finished by approximately 3.00pm.
We will need you to help set up with tasks including:-
- Setting out tables according to the floor plan
- Putting together clothes rails
- Putting out tables and signage
- Emptying seller’s boxes
- Clearing empty boxes away
- Quality check and reject restricted items and items that are dirty, damaged, broken or have missing parts.
- Check all items are labelled and priced legibly.
- Help tidy tables so goods are displayed well, ready for buyers.
During The Sale
Prior to the NNS sale opening to the public (11am) you will be allocated one of the following jobs for during the sale itself:-
- Based on the entrance door taking admission money and handing out NCT shopping bags.
- Be at door to the tills, managing the queue and sending people to next free till.
- On the exit door as people leave, checking that only goods in official sacks / bags are taken out, and that big items have been marked with NCT—SOLD tape (to show they have been paid for).
- In the halls, walking around keeping things tidy, picking up any loose labels or unlabeled items and watching for possible theft.
- Rotating items on tables so that items at the bottom get to the top.
- Sorting sold labels into numbered boxes (e.g. 1-9, 10-19, etc.).
- On the tills, detaching labels and packing goods.
- Staffing the tills in the Baby / Nursery room and Big Toys room and managing the ‘sold items holding’ areas in these rooms.
- Serving refreshments to the helpers and buyers.
After The Sale
When the sale is declared closed, there will refreshments and then Volunteers are required to:-
- Empty seller’s boxes to be taken from storage and placed round the appropriate hall in numerical order.
- All unsold items to be sorted back into sellers’ boxes. Sort initially into bulk, e.g. 1-9, 10-19 etc. then fine sort into seller’s boxes.
- After all the unsold items have been put away, all seller’s boxes are double checked for wrongly sorted items, and then taped closed across the top with brown coloured tape.
- Any rubbish is picked up and put in bins outside hall.
As a volunteer you will be provided with drinks and snacks throughout the day. You may choose to bring some lunch with you too.
You will also get the perk of being allowed to browse and buy goods before sale opens to the public!
We cannot continue to run our sales without our wonderful helpers. If you like to join us by volunteering for our next Nearly New Sale please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org