Dementia Adviser Volunteer
When getting an initial diagnosis of dementia the amount of information can be overwhelming. Your role will be to help to support the completion of emergency documents that can be vitally important to help health and emergency services assist someone living with dementia. There is no medical background required to take on this role, as all medical information will be provided by the person you are meeting. You will visit them in their home and help them complete:
- This is me – A2 page profile of personal history, medical conditions and needs. This document allows the NHS and care homes to find out vital information about a patient being admitted.
- Herbert protocol – Compilation of useful information about someone in the event that they go missing. This is widely used by the police and helps reduce information gathering time.
- Message in a bottle – Storage of medical information in the fridge to allow paramedics to access medical information easily if they are called out to an address.
This role requires travelling across Gloucestershire to meet people requesting this service, so you will need to be able to get around by car or public transport. Please be aware that some people may be located in rural areas where public transport may be less frequent. We will reimburse travel costs incurred.
The frequency of volunteering need is based on referrals we receive, roughly once a week and can fit around you and the person you are visiting’s schedule. Volunteering will take place during office hours.
This role will suit you if you are...
- Are passionate about supporting people living with dementia to improve their quality of life
- Have good communication and listening skills and enjoy interacting with people.
- Have some knowledge about dementia and want to learn more.
- Are able to maintain clear record keeping
- Want to develop or build your skills and experience in Health Social Care and Community settings.
- Are happy to volunteer independently, but also as part of a team.
- Want a flexible role to suit your availability
As part of the recruitment process we will be conducting interviews on the 17 October, although we will be happy to accommodate a date that is more suitable for you. Due to the nature of the role we will need to complete a DBS check.
Apply for Dementia Adviser Volunteer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly