Fundraising and Communications Volunteer
About the Cleft Lip and Palate Association
The Cleft Lip and Palate Association is the only charity supporting people in the UK affected by cleft. We bring families and individuals essential support and opportunities for them to meet, share experiences and build support networks. We also run awareness-raising campaigns to combat prejudice and work alongside the NHS to ensure that everyone with a cleft receives the best possible medical care
CLAPA are looking for an enthusiastic and driven volunteer to join our fundraising team. In this role you will get a real insight into how a small charity operates and have hands-on experience. You will get to see how a charity works behind the scenes, working closely with CLAPA’s community and events fundraisers to deliver a range of events to help support our work.
Tasks Will Include
- Providing support for CLAPA’s staff through writing and sending thank you letters and cards
- Assisting in the organisation of cheer stations for key challenge events such as the Prudential Ride London
- Maintaining and updating CLAPA’s fundraising database
- Working with the Senior Community Fundraiser to plan a series of community fundraising activities throughout the year
- Developing fundraising materials
- Researching local community giving schemes, supermarket collections schemes and RAG societies and making an applications calendar
- Speaking directly with supporters to gather information, quotes and pictures for online media and website content
- Identifying and contacting local community groups who could support CLAPA, such as WI’s, Rotary Clubs, Sports Clubs and local Supermarkets
- Creating content for social media and the website to market community fundraising, challenge events and CLAPA’s work in general
What We Offer
- A full induction and ongoing support throughout your time at CLAPA
- An insight into the charity sector, how a small charity operates and the various roles available
- An opportunity to develop key skills and gain experience in fundraising, marketing, communications and any other areas of interest where possible
- Training and experience of using a popular database system
- A dedicated member of staff to help support you during your time at CLAPA
- Travel expenses up to £10 per day
- Lunch expenses up to £7 per day
What we are looking for
- An interest for working in the charity sector, with a desire to learn more about community and events fundraising
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, i.e. Word, Excel and Outlook
- The ability to work well individually and use initiative, as well as working as part of a team
- Some fundraising experience is desirable
- Knowledge and/or experience of cleft lip and palate is desirable
We are looking for someone to work 2 days a week from 10.30am to 4pm, from week commencing 24th September to mid-December 2018. We may ask you to volunteer occasionally at the weekend, for instance coming along to cheer at an event, hours, days and start date can be flexible/negotiated.
You will be based in our office in Angel, London.
How to Apply
Please send your CV and a covering note to CLAPA's fundraising team at the email address below. Once we have assessed your application, we may invite you for an informal interview
The closing date for this application is August 27th 2018 at 5pm. Interviews will take place week commencing 3rd September 2018.
Unfortunately, as a small charity we are only able to respond to applicants who have been successful in securing an interview. If you haven’t heard from us by August 29th 2018, please assume you have been unsuccessful.