Lead Volunteer: Babbacombe Memory Cafe
We are looking for Lead Volunteers for Babbacombe Memory Café, held every Tuesday afternoon.
Joining an established team of volunteers you will be a key link for the group, liaising with staff, volunteers and visiting speakers. You will make sure the group is appropriately organized and runs smoothly, helping to coordinate volunteers at the Café and helping to support volunteers in their role. You will help setting up the venue, welcoming and socialising with group members, and assisting with refreshments and housekeeping.
The role will be suitable if you…
- Enjoy engaging with people and helping them to feel comfortable and enjoy themselves
- Have previous group work experience and leading and supporting people to engage in meaningful activity
- Have confidence and enthusiasm
- Have excellent verbal communications skills, especially face to face
- Have a knowledge of, or a willingness to learn about, dementia and its impact on people
- Are comfortable volunteering as part of a team of volunteers and staff
- Have good listening and literacy skills
- Recognise the importance of confidentiality and can demonstrate this
- Have a commitment to inclusion, treating people from all backgrounds with dignity
As part of the role you will need to be prepared to complete an induction into the role and attend relevant learning and development activities and support meetings.
The impact you’ll make…
The Memory Café provides information about living with dementia and other services available locally in an informal and comfortable environment, as well as a place to relax, socialise and meet other people with dementia and their carers.
You will lead and bring organisational skills to enable people affected by dementia to engage and socialise with other group members in a welcoming and non judgemental environment, helping people to feel less isolated and experience an enjoyable activity helping towards their feeling of wellbeing.