Side by Side Telephone Volunteer
Why we need you:
After a diagnosis of dementia it can be daunting for someone to keep up their hobbies and stay connected in their community. Our Side by Side service helps people with dementia feel more confident and connected to their community. A friendly chat on a regular basis with a familiar voice can be a great source of comfort. You will be connected with people based on their interests and preferences.
What you’ll be doing
- We will pair you up with someone with dementia based on common interests you share. You will then phone them on a regular basis to help them feel less isolated.
- These calls will be made regularly as agreed with the person with dementia
- Communicating regularly with the coordinator and/or lead volunteers
- This role can happen any day of the week and anytime of day to suit you and the person with dementia.
This role will suit you if you:
- Want to support, enable and empower people with dementia
- Are a good verbal communicator with great listening skills
- Recognise the importance of making people feel valued
- Are happy volunteering on your own and keeping in touch with your team
- Can provide a committed, flexible approach and who is willing to learn
What you can expect from us:
- Training, guidance and support to ensure safeguarding and service standards
- You’ll have a role manager who will support you throughout your journey with us
- Out of pocket expenses (e.g. travel) agreed before you start in line with our policy
- We’ll keep you up to date with relevant policies and procedures that apply to your role
- You’ll have access to our personal development framework for volunteers
What we need from you:
To ensure the safety and security of people with dementia we ask for:
- Two references & proof of identity
- A commitment of at least 6 months
- Essential learning & training to be complete before starting in your role. This will be half a day face to face training and online training too.
- You may be asked to complete a DBS or Access NI check, in line with the DBS authority’s guidance. A criminal record will not necessarily stop you being able to carry out this role
Apply for Side by Side Telephone Volunteer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly