Finance Committee Member
FINANCE COMMITTEE MEMBER
Recruiter: The Physiological Society
Location: Central London
Skills: audit practice and risk management.
Commitment: Up to four years
This role provides an excellent opportunity for an experienced financial audit and risk expert to join an important Governance Committee of The Physiological Society (‘The Society’).
We wish to appoint an external member to our Finance Committee to aid the Council of Trustees in overseeing all financial aspects of The Society, so as to support its short and long term ability to achieve its charitable objects.
As the largest network of physiologists in Europe, with academic journals of global reach, we continue our 140-year tradition of being at the forefront of the life sciences. We bring together scientists from over 60 countries, and our Members have included numerous Nobel Prize winners from Ivan Pavlov to John O’Keefe. We organise world-class scientific meetings, offer grants for research and innovative educational activities, as well as promote physiology through our outreach and policy work. We publish the latest developments in our leading scientific journals: The Journal of Physiology, Experimental Physiology and Physiological Reports.
We are seeking to broaden the skills and diversity of our Finance Committee and are looking to appoint an external member with financial audit experience. The new member will come from an audit practice or similar background and be able to support our risk management, financial control and accounting presentation, providing a client experience based perspective. We are committed to equality and diversity and encourage expressions of interest from all communities and backgrounds.
- A qualified/accredited professional with significant experience and knowledge of financial management and presentation and an understanding of issues affecting the not for profit sector.
- An audit practice and/or risk back ground
- An understanding of and commitment to the responsibilities of a company director and charity trustee according to the law and ethical standards of the UK and the Charity Commission.
- Experience in scrutinising and interpreting financial reports and management accounts
- Budgets and forecasting analysis
- Ability to work as part of a team and to accept collective responsibility in decision making, accepting of others views
- Ability to provide scrutiny and analysis of financial reports and be able to interpret complex information for less experienced committee members
- Proven ability to think strategically and exercise independent judgement
- Excellent listening, communication and committee skills
- A willingness to take the lead in relevant committee matters if required and to be available for advice and enquiries on an ad hoc basis
- Able to fulfil the time commitment for the role
We are looking for someone who is able to commit to the role. The position will be for a four year term and Finance Committee meetings are held 4 times per year, approximately every 3 months. Committee meetings usually last up to 3 hours. Members would be expected to make every effort to attend and to play an active role.
This voluntary position is unpaid, although reasonable out of pocket expenses while fulfilling these duties will be reimbursed.
Apply for Finance Committee Member
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly