Caird Library Reception Desk Volunteer
The Library and Archive team at Royal Museum Greenwich’s Caird Library are looking for a number of volunteers to help them manage the library Reception Desk.
We wish to enlarge our existing team of volunteers with a number of enthusiastic and committed individuals who would enjoy providing excellent customer service in a quiet, research environment.
You will volunteer alongside our Library and Archive team, gaining an understanding of how a research library works and helping the work of a national museum library.
You will also expand your experience of face-to-face customer service and develop your administration skills as well as knowledge of library systems and catalogues.
You will volunteer on the Reception Desk on a rota basis to cover the opening hours of the Caird Library, 10.00-16.45 Tuesday – Saturday.
The shifts, which include a break, are:
9.55-13.30 or 13.30-16.45 or 11.00-15.00
Coordinated by: Library Assistant
- Provide general assistance and project a positive and friendly image in welcoming all visitors to the Caird Library
- Explain the different types of readers’ tickets and help visitors apply for the appropriate type
- Complete registration by inputting information into our Aeon system and issuing both one-day and three-year tickets (full training given)
- Explain what is not allowed in the Reading Room and direct readers to leave their coats and personal belongings in the locker area (or cloakroom for larger items)
- Operate the library’s security gate and assist staff with invigilation
- Assist with general administration duties, e.g. checking stocks of leaflets and forms behind the desk
- Introduce visitors with general museum enquiries to the Collections Online catalogue and show them how to access and order items from the Library and Archive catalogues (full training given)
Please note that, once established in the Reception Desk role, our volunteers are invited to undertake additional projects. Depending on your skills and experience, these projects may include transcribing archival material, indexing journals and enhancing library records.
What we’re looking for in you:
- Excellent communication skills
- A friendly and confident manner when dealing with all types of people
- An ability to approach difficult customers and stressful situations in a patient, efficient and courteous way
- Good administrative skills; the ability to work accurately and methodically, following procedures/instructions
- A working knowledge of computers and some experience of IT systems (but full training on our particular system will be given)
It is desirable but not essential that you have experience of, or interest in:
- Archive and library work
- Working as a receptionist
- General interest in maritime and/or family history
One or two shifts per week. Our volunteers are asked to commit to a minimum of three months with a full expectation that they will be invited to stay longer.
What we offer our volunteers:
- Discounts in our shops and restaurants
- Travel can be reimbursed up to a limit of £12 per return journey (conditions apply). Please note we are unable to provide parking facilities.
- Complimentary tickets and free entry to all of our sites
- Regular monthly briefings about Royal Museums Greenwich
- Social events with other volunteers and staff
How to apply:
Please apply via RMG’s website
Closing date: Monday 30 July 2018
Interviews: Week commencing 6 August 2018
Start date: September 2018