Digital Skills Volunteer
Summary of the role and the activities involved:
To provide digital and IT support for older people who wish to learn or improve their skills in using new technology.
To empower an older person to use the Internet and technology by supporting their knowledge and self-confidence, thus improving their overall well-being, helping them maintain their independence and aiming to reduce isolation.
This could include the following tasks:
- Explain and demonstrate how to use laptops, tablets, smartphones
- Create email accounts and enable beneficiaries to use them
- Support beneficiaries to use social media, Skype, WhatsApp etc. to connect with friends and loved ones
- Explore online shopping opportunities and how to use various platforms
- Discuss online banking and/or how to pay bills online
- Explore how to find medical information and/or book GP appointments online
- Show beneficiaries how to research social activities and local services
- Demonstrate how to use calendars and/or set up helpful reminders
- Explain how to research organizations (like trusted traders, builders, etc) and find out what other people are saying about them
Personal qualities most suited to this role
- A friendly and cheerful manner
- A non-judgemental approach
- Good communication and listening skills
- Good IT and digital skills
- Patience and tact
- Reliability and sense of responsibility
- Good problem solving skills
- To be able to recognise and work within personal and organisational boundaries
- An understanding of the need for confidentiality
- Willingness to work without direct supervision
We are looking for someone who could volunteer with us for 3 months or longer, for around 2 hours/week.
We will however consider your availability and aim to be as flexible as possible.
The length of visits will vary with each client. Visits could take place weekly or could be on a one-off basis.
You will be reporting to Fulham Good Neighbours main office, but you will conduct one to one support visits at the beneficiaries’ home.
What training will be necessary and available:
No formal training is required. We will provide you with all the required information upon induction and provide you with volunteer guidelines.
What expenses are payable:
We would cover your travel expenses connected to your volunteering role and lunch expenses if you volunteer for over 4 hours on any given date.
Benefits to the volunteer
- This opportunity will allow volunteers to use and develop their skills
- Get involved with your local community
- Join an exciting new project in a dynamic organisation
- Impart your time and skills for the benefit of an older person
- The satisfaction of knowing that you play a pivotal role in aiding an older person in bridging the digital gap.
You will be required to supply two references, one being your current or most recent employer.
This role will be subject to a DBS check – carried out following successful receipt of two references.
Apply for Digital Skills Volunteer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly