Story Merchants at the National Maritime Museum
We are looking for volunteers to assist the Learning Programme with an exciting new activity in the Museum’s galleries for all visitors.
Four new galleries will be opening in September and with them we will be delivering new object handling activities. The objects will tie in with the themes and stories of the galleries, Sea Things, Tudor and Stuart Seafarers, Pacific Encounters and Polar Worlds. You will have the chance to move between galleries with the objects, engaging visitors of all ages and helping them to explore the themes and stories of the Museum’s collections.
This exciting role offers you high-quality and specialist training as well as the chance to be a part of the team from the outset as we venture into a new project.
What does this look like?
- Attending training
- Providing a warm welcome for visitors
- Initiating conversations with visitors using objects
- Assisting with evaluation
Who are we looking for?
- Confidence and a friendly approach to help engage visitors of all ages and backgrounds
- Good team working skills
- Passion and enthusiasm
- Ability to work independently and with initiative
What will you gain?
- Training in object handling, customer care and sensitive histories
- Opportunity to develop knowledge and skills that are relevant to the heritage industry and to other workplaces
- Experience of being part of the museum team
- Experience participating in a busy and dynamic team
- Communication skills
- Meet new people
What do we need from you?
- Attend training in July and practice sessions August (occasional Thursdays throughout the summer holidays).
- Once you have completed the training, you can select which days and hours to volunteer. Volunteering hours will be 11am - 4pm, seven days a week. You can choose a regular slot or you can sign up when you are able.
What we offer our volunteers:
- Discounts in our shops and restaurants
- Travel can be reimbursed up to a limit of £12 per return journey (conditions apply). Please note we are unable to provide parking facilities.
- Complimentary tickets and free entry to all of our sites
- Regular monthly briefings about Royal Museums Greenwich
- Social events with other volunteers and staff
Closing date: 11th June 2018, 12pm.
Taster Sessions planned for : 18th or 19th June 2018.