Treasurer Trustee for charity undergoing exciting period of development
Main purposes of the role
- To monitor the financial matters of FreeVA, ensuring that proper financial records and procedures are maintained.
- To ensure FreeVA’s financial viability.
- To oversee arrangements for risk management and ensure that these are adequate to organisational needs, governance requirements and legal obligations.
- To take a central role in actively pursuing the financial stability and growth of FreeVA.
- To report to the Board of Trustees in accordance with the governing and legal requirements
- To support the board with financial information when required for decision-making.
- Where necessary in some instances give extra support in the day-to-day finances of the organisation
Main duties and responsibilities
The Treasurer will fulfil all the duties, obligations and responsibilities of a trustee. In addition, in a specialist role of treasurer s/he will:
- Report to the Board of Trustees at regular intervals on the financial health of FreeVA.
- Oversee and present budgets, accounts and financial statements to the board of trustees.
- Ensure that proper accounts and records are kept, and proper procedures maintained.
- Ensure financial resources are spent and invested in line with good governance, legal and regulatory requirements and exclusively in pursuance of its objects (the charity must not spend money on activities which are not included in its own objects, no matter how worthwhile or charitable those activities are).
- Be instrumental in the development and implementation of financial reserves and investment policies
- Oversee budgets for major contracts including commissions and delivery commitments
- Liaise where appropriate with the Chief Executive and or Finance Officer in relation to the financial activities of FreeVA.
- Chair any finance sub group / committee in line with terms of reference and report back to the board of Trustees.
- Monitor and advise on the financial viability of FreeVA.
- Implement and monitor specific financial controls with effective systems.
- Ensure that the charity has an appropriate reserves policy
- Make a formal presentation of the accounts at the annual general meeting and drawing attention to important points in a coherent and easily understandable way
- To provide the board with financial information in a relevant, unbiased and accessible format to enable optimum democratic decision-making.
- Take a lead on financial planning and work closely with the CEO on the financial targets and costs forecasts laid out in FreeVA’s strategic plan.
- Oversee FreeVA’s management of risk process.
- Act as a counter signature on cheques and applications to funders.
- The role holder will communicate internally with all members of FreeVA Board of Trustees, Chief Executive, Finance Officer and all FreeVA staff.
- The post holder will work closely with the Chief Executive and Finance Officer.
- The role holder will be responsible to the Chair of Trustees