Visitor Experience Team Volunteer
The largest maritime museum in the world is looking for more people to join our friendly and dedicated team of volunteers! If you love meeting new people, have a passion for the arts, history or science and would enjoy volunteering alongside our knowledgeable and experienced volunteers and members of staff, we’d really like to hear from you.
You need to be approachable and friendly. You will gain excellent customer care experience in a multi-site national Museum, based in the World Heritage Site of Greenwich, London. Royal Museums Greenwich is made up of the National Maritime Museum, the Queen’s House, the Royal Observatory and the Cutty Sark. We are looking for volunteers to help create an unforgettable day out for our visitors from all over the world. Your role will be varied; you could find yourself with a foot both in the eastern and western hemispheres up at the Meridian Line, chatting to visitors in the beautiful surroundings of the Queen’s House or helping visitors plot a voyage on our Great Map in the National Maritime Museum. You will of course be placed where business need is greatest.
Co-ordinated by: Visitor Experience Managers
- Offer an engaging and friendly welcome to visitors and help them to get the most out of their visit
- Help visitors find their way around our site and answer questions about the collection & local area
- Answer questions about what events or services the Museum offers
- Pro-actively promote the Museum’s offer to visitors, including tours
- Hand visitors promotional material such as leaflets
- Keep up-to-date with the Museum’s daily and seasonal ‘what’s on’ events
- Assist with the daily visitor care routines including health and safety routines and emergency evacuations as required
What we’re looking for in you:
- Excellent people and communication skills
- A passion for excellent customer service
- A flexible approach to working as part of a team; your breaks will be taken according to a daily roster
- Able to show visitors around the museum for up to 2 hours at a time; some of your volunteering will be based outdoors
- Being reliable, responsible and trustworthy
One day per week or per fortnight, and we have a particular need for voluntary help at weekends. We ask for a commitment that you will stay for at least three months, but we hope you’ll stay longer. A typical day runs from 09.30 to 17.15 during which you get your tea and lunch breaks. We can also offer half-day shifts.
What we offer our volunteers:
- Discounts in our shops and restaurants
- Travel can be reimbursed up to a limit of £10 per return journey (conditions apply). Please note we are unable to provide parking facilities.
- Complimentary tickets and free entry to all of our sites
- Regular monthly briefings about Royal Museums Greenwich
- Social events with other volunteers and staff
How to apply:
Please apply via RMG’s website - please see link below
Direct any enquiries to email@example.com or call RMG’s Volunteer Programme Manager, Helen Webb, on 020 8312 6543
Closing date Monday 31 December 2018
Apply as soon as you can. We will hold a series of informal interviews throughout 2018. We need a large team of people to help and we are expecting a lot of interest in this role, so do not miss this opportunity!