Miller Demonstrator - Nether Alderley Mill
oncealed under the long sloping roof of this medieval building is a fully restored, working corn mill. Inside, as the waterwheels turn, huge millstones grind the flour. On the guided tours, centuries-old graffiti can be spotted and you can discover more about the life of a miller.
This is an exciting time to be involved at Nether Alderley Mill, we're getting ready to open to the public for another busy season.
• Providing a warm, friendly welcome to all visitors as the public face of the National Trust.
• Engage with visitors, answering questions regarding the waterwheels, Milling flour process, the role of power, Milling & flour production at Nether Alderley Mill.
• Provide information on other aspects of the Property and be able to direct visitors to the various points of interest.
• Be aware of the facilities available for disabled visitors and assist them when required.
• Deliver a daily briefing informing all staff and Volunteers of any issues with the Machinery.
• Operate the waterwheels & Milling Stones for demonstration purposes, conforming at all times to Nether Alderely’s operating procedures and health and safety requirements.
• Complete all paperwork and records associated with the role, e.g. the recording of water usage by the wheels & grain & flour usage.
• Ensure a high standard of cleanliness is maintained in areas on public view, reporting any faults with the mechanisms to a member of the Premises and Engineering team & or Visitor experience team.
• Assist with the security and protection of the mill interior and its contents by providing a watchful presence at all times.
• Be responsible for the evacuation of visitors in an emergency and of implementing emergency procedures.
• Work in compliance with the Trust’s Health and Safety Policies at all times.
• Maintain good working relationships with property staff and other volunteers.
• Attend training events as and when required.
By getting involved you could
• Learn new skills
• Gain an understanding of the history of Nether Alderley Mill
• Become part of a friendly and dedicated team
• Meet a wide range of people from many places
• Improve your communication skills