Visitor Experience Team Volunteer
The largest maritime museum in the world is looking for more people to join our friendly and dedicated team of volunteers! If you love meeting new people, have a passion for the arts, history or science and would enjoy volunteering alongside our knowledgeable and experienced volunteers and members of staff, we’d really like to hear from you.
Royal Museums Greenwich is an internationally renowned Museum based in the World Heritage Site of Greenwich, London. It consists of the National Maritime Museum, the Queen’s House, the Royal Observatory and the Cutty Sark. We are looking for volunteers to come and help create an unforgettable day out for our visitors from all over the world. Your role will be varied, you could find yourself with a foot both in the eastern and western hemispheres up at the Meridian Line, or helping our visitors plot a voyage on our Great Map in the Maritime Museum, or treading the same stairs as past kings and queens on the Tulip Staircase. You will however be placed where business need is greatest.
You need to be approachable and friendly, and willing to volunteer on a regular basis (weekly or fortnightly) for at least three months. We are particularly looking for help at weekends. You will gain excellent experience in customer service and also have access to discounts in our shops and restaurants.
Co-ordinated by: Visitor Experience Managers
- Offer an engaging and friendly welcome to visitors and help them to get the most out of their visit
- Help visitors find their way around our site and answer questions about the collections & local area
- Answer questions about what events or services the Museum offers
- Pro-actively promote the Museum’s offer to visitors, including tours
- Hand visitors promotional material such as leaflets
- Keep up-to-date with the Museum’s daily and seasonal ‘what’s on’ events
- Assist with the daily visitor care routines including health and safety routines and emergency evacuations as required
What we’re looking for in you:
- Excellent people and communication skills
- A passion for excellent customer service
- A flexible approach to working as part of a team; your breaks will be taken according to a daily roster
- Able to show visitors around the museum for up to 2 hours at a time; some of your volunteering will be based outdoors
- Being reliable, responsible and trustworthy
One day per week or per fortnight, and we have a particular need for voluntary help at weekends. We ask for a commitment that you will stay for at least three months, but we hope you’ll stay longer. A typical day runs from 09.30 to 17.15 during which you get three breaks. However we are happy to discuss the option of volunteering for half days instead.
Can be reimbursed up to a limit of £10 per return journey (conditions apply) and there are discounts in our cafes and shops. Please note we are unable to provide parking facilities.
How to apply:
Please apply via RMG’s website and direct any enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively you can call RMG’s Volunteer Programme Manager, Helen Webb, on 020 8312 6543.
Closing date Sunday 31 December 2017
Apply as soon as you can. We will hold a series of informal interviews throughout 2017. We need a large team of people to help and we are expecting a lot of interest in this role, so do not miss out!