Helpline Coordinator – Pain Concern (Part Time - Fixed-term contract)
4 days left
- Long Term
About Pain Concern
Pain Concern is a charity working to support and inform people with pain and those who care for them, whether family, friends or healthcare professionals. All pain is unpleasant, but for the 7.8 million people in the UK living with long-term pain it is a part of everyday life. It diminishes quality of life more than any other condition, leading often to loss of work, depression and disability. Anyone at any age can develop persistent pain and you will very probably know somebody affected.
Although there is usually no cure, people who receive the appropriate treatment, information and support can manage their condition effectively with life-changing results. Pain Concern works to improve the lives of people in pain by:
- Producing information on pain using a variety of media platforms, including a radio show, magazine, website and leaflets.
- Providing support to people with pain and those who care for them through our helpline, forum and community pain education sessions.
- Raising awareness about pain and campaigning to improve the provision of pain management services.
Job Title: Helpline Coordinator
Location: 62-66 Newcraighall Road Edinburgh, EH15 3HS
Salary: £450.67 per calendar month (£5408 per annum,0.21FTE of £25,350.00 per annum)
Working Hours: Part Time, 8 Hours per week worked over 2 days.
Start date: Starting ASAP
Duration: 6 months fixed term contract, likely to be renewed or extended
Closing Date: 29/09/2017
Description of the role
Pain Concern’s Helpline is staffed by trained volunteers who provide information, support or just a listening ear to people wanting to talk about their own pain or that of a family member or friend
The Helpline Coordinator will manage the Helpline volunteers according to defined standards and provide regular reports on Helpline performance.
The Helpline Coordinator will undertake the training necessary to take calls on the Helpline and in the fullness of time undertake a more proactive role with regards to the development of Helpline volunteers
The helpline is run from the central office in Edinburgh, but the volunteers are based in various locations across the UK; it is essential that the Helpline Coordinator is comfortable with modern communication technologies.
- Recruit Helpline volunteers from recognised sources
- Develop and motivating current volunteers
- Coordinate all aspects of the training and development of volunteers
- Manage the volunteers’ rota and resolving routine day to day issues and concerns
- Be the helpline volunteers’ first point of contact
- Ensure that the right policies are in place, and are adhered to
- Collect calls data, for statistical purpose
- To act as an Ambassador for Pain Concern when carrying out duties in order to enhance the charity’s reputation
- As a charity with a small number of employee’s workloads inevitably peak and the post holder will be expected to carry out duties implied by the Post’s title
Person Specification (E/D = Essential / Desirable)
Education, Qualifications & Experience
- Degree, qualification, or experience at a similar level. (E)
- Experience of people management (E)
- Experience of working within a training or education environment (D)
Skills, Knowledge & Personal Qualities
- Ability to explain and adhere to good practice with regards to all aspects of volunteer management or the ability to quickly get up to speed on the subject (E)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (E)
- Understanding and experience of managing change (D)
- An interest in pain management and improving care with a focus on self-management (D)
- Experience of a range of IT packages. Including Excel, PowerPoint, and Skype and the ability to pick up new systems (Moodle, HELPLINE Platform) (E)
- Understanding of and ability to use social media (D)
- A good understanding of Confidentiality and data protection (D)
- Ability to understand and support others (E)
- Reliable and well-organised (E)
- Ability to work independently on own initiative, and as part of a team (E)
- Able to demonstrate good interpersonal and influencing skills, including the ability to motivate staff (E)
- Flexible attitude to working hours and days, and able to deal with periods of higher demand (E)
- Personal experience of chronic pain or contact with pain sufferers or their carers (D)
- The post holder is required to work in a flexible way and undertake any other duties reasonably requested by line management which are commensurate with the level of responsibility of this post
To apply for this position please send a cover letter and your CV
Closing date is: 29-09-2017.
For more information
Visit our website to find out more about what we do, including our Airing Pain radio programme, Pain Matters magazine, Pain Concern Helpline, community Pain Education Sessions and our Research and Campaigning work.
PAIN CONCERN, Registered charity no: SC023559 Company No: SC546994
Apply for Helpline Coordinator – Pain Concern (Part Time - Fixed-term contract)
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly