Crisis at Christmas Corporate Donations Volunteer
This is a voluntary role which sits within the Crisis at Christmas team.
Crisis at Christmas operates a network of temporary day and residential centres across London providing services and support for over 3,900 homeless and vulnerably housed people. We operate 9 centres over the Christmas period (22 - 30 December inclusive) serviced from our Warehouse and Operations centre. We rely on 10,000 volunteers who contribute their skills and time to make Crisis at Christmas happen each year.
The Corporate Donations volunteer works as part of the Resources Team and assists with securing and receiving deliveries of gifts in kind donations. You will be responding to enquiries from potential donors over email, phone, or face to face. You will also be supporting the safe delivery of donations of food, equipment and other resources to the Crisis storage space.
This role provides exposure and practical experience of liaising with corporate donors, social enterprises, charities and individual donors who donate food, equipment, and other essential resources for Crisis at Christmas.
What you will gain
- Opportunity to gain experience of working with a major UK homeless Charity
- Opportunity to be part of a team making a real difference to the lives of homeless people over the Christmas period
- Experience within a specialist gifts in kind team employing fundraising techniques
- Experience of working in a warehouse environment
- Induction to the role and Crisis
- On the job training and any other relevant training will be provided
- One to ones with a designated supervisor
- Being part of a dynamic team
- References for prospective employers
- Travel expenses (within Greater London) reimbursed. Lunch expenses paid if you volunteer for 1 day.
Core tasks and what you will achieve
- Receive deliveries of gifts in kind donations, sorting, checking for quality, and recording details on the resources system
- Respond to enquiries regarding donations from organisations, charities and individuals via email, phone, or face to face
- Assist with opening and closing stock take
- Assist with the re-distribution of surplus items to charities and non-profit organisations post event
- Participate in meetings, volunteer training sessions, and ‘on-the –job’ training for a complete and rounded volunteering experience
The skills & experience we are looking for
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- A clear interest in, and knowledge about, the work that Crisis does
- Good administration skills and attention to detail
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including Microsoft Excel and Outlook
- Flexibility in terms of the tasks you are asked to undertake
- Ability to follow instructions and also take the initiative when required
- Enthusiasm, patience and respect for others
- Good time keeping, attendance and listening skills
- An understanding of the importance of confidentiality and maintaining boundaries
Ideal time commitment: October to January, 2 days per week. Monday – Saturday 10:00-16:00 or 08:00- 14:00 or 12:00 – 18:00 (includes 1 hour break)