Crisis at Christmas Operations Support Volunteer
This is a voluntary role which sits within the Crisis at Christmas team
Crisis at Christmas operates a network of temporary day and residential centres across London providing services and support for over 3,900 homeless and vulnerably housed people. We operate 9 centres over the Christmas period (22 - 30 December inclusive) serviced from our Warehouse and Operations centre. We rely on 10,000 volunteers who contribute their skills and time to make Crisis at Christmas happen each year.
Running Crisis at Christmas is a logistical challenge and this is an opportunity to play a crucial role behind the scenes making it all happen, supporting the operations team, warehouse staff and transport team who will deal with almost 50 tons of food and 100 vehicles to make this project happen.
What you will gain
- You will gain experience of working with a major UK Charity on a high profile and large scale project
- You will have the opportunity to be part of a team making a real difference to the lives of homeless people over the Christmas period
- This is an excellent opportunity to gain experience of partnership working and communications in a third sector setting
- You will also gain experience supervising volunteers
- You will develop an understanding and get practical experience of how to plan and manage a large scale event
- On the job training and any other relevant training will be provided
- Informative and structured induction to the role and organisation
- One to ones with a designated supervisor
- Travel (within Greater London) and lunch expenses reimbursed.
Core tasks and what you will achieve
- To work with the Technical Logistics Manager and Volunteering team and respond to enquiries from volunteers quickly and courteously, both by phone and by email
- To assist with the running of briefings for Logistics volunteers
- To help with organising and managing volunteers during set up and close down of the centres
- To update the CC-Online, the Christmas intranet via a content management system
- To assist with the co-ordination of the transport service for Crisis at Christmas when required
- To support other members of the Crisis at Christmas team with tracking and maintaining equipment hired
The skills & experience we are looking for
- Ability to plan workloads juggling multiple tasks and responsibilities
- Ability to work in a busy team and to meet deadlines
- Experience of working with volunteers
- Ability to communicate with a wide range of target audiences
- Good working knowledge of Excel
- Good written and verbal communications skills
- Empathy with the work and objectives of Crisis and the homelessness sector.
Ideal time commitment: Start of October to end of December (with 1 more day in January for handover), 2 days a week Monday-Friday between 10.00-16.00.