About Setpoint London East
Setpoint London East (the ‘SET’ in our name stands for Science, Engineering and Technology) provides hands-on science and environmental workshops to schools in the unique surroundings of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park nature reserve - the only woodland in East London.
The goal of these workshops is to raise the standards of achievement and enthusiasm for science for pupils who live in Tower Hamlets and surrounding boroughs and who otherwise would have little or no access to natural environments such as woodland, wetland and meadows. We are, quite literally, inspiring the next generation with scientific curiosity and wonder, and helping them to recognise and achieve their potential, regardless of their family background.
We focus especially on hands-on workshops and practical learning delivered on site at the Soanes Centre in Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park. Here we have a unique opportunity to offer environmental and science workshops using the park as our out-door classroom. Children are encouraged and supported to engage with nature in a way that is new and unusual for most of them.
We deliver a range of workshops for primary school children and offer bespoke workshops for secondary school classes and A-level students. Our workshop programme is available all year round and links closely to the National Curriculum.
We work closely together with the Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park, who look after the park that we use as our out-door classroom and we provide them with an office at our centre, which we lease from the local authority and rooms for their programme outside school hours.
Purpose of the role
Setpoint London East is a small charity with a small staff that has to do a wide variety of tasks. We are looking to recruit an ambitious and driven individual to join us and help us fundraise from grant giving funders for our in-house workshops. We would love you to join the team and be part of that success! This is an excellent opportunity if you are looking to gain experience of fundraising and/or working in the charity sector. The role will give you hands-on experience in searching for appropriate funders and writing grant applications. , You will receive a thorough induction and ongoing supervision to gain knowledge of the voluntary and community sector working. In return, Setpoint London East will offer the chosen candidate the opportunity to:
- Gain experience within fundraising and the not for profit sector.
- Develop your written and verbal communication skills.
- Make a valuable contribution to raising income for the charity.
- Gain fundraising experience that will enhance your CV.
Responsibilities will include:
- Putting together funding proposals and reports.
- Conducting research on prospective funders and competitors - General administration, including data entry, letter writing, taking telephone calls
Person Specification Essential:
· Educated to degree level
· Strong organisational skills with a methodical approach to working on a number of tasks simultaneously and working to deadlines;
· A flexible attitude towards your work with a willingness to learn new skills and to assist the wider team to get things done;
· A demonstrable interest and passion for learning more about the charitable sector and fundraising in particular;
· Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically with a wide range of people at all levels;
· Excellent written skills · Professional and confident telephone manner;
· Strong IT skills including Microsoft Office