RHS Garden Wisley, Woking, Surrey
Five hours per week
RHS Garden Wisley currently has exciting volunteering opportunities for enthusiastic people to help with core gardening activities.
Opportunities are available in the following horticultural teams:
- Trials - with its spearheading assessments of award-winning plants
- Herbaceous, Formal & Woodland - maintaining inspirational ornamental plantings
- Alpine - delivering exciting development work in the famous Rock Garden
- Edibles - encompassing all the fruit, vegetables and herbs grown at Wisley
- Glasshouse - working with a diverse and exciting tender plant display
- Nursery & Propagation - producing and growing on plants for use in the garden
- Members' Seed Scheme - this placement will involve helping the team to collect, clean pack and dispatch seed to members
Wisley has many varied plant collections and garden areas within the 97ha (240a) site, attracting some one million visitors per year.
Our garden volunteers assist with day-to-day garden maintenance work, primarily weeding, edging, mulching, planting, cutting back and deadheading in one of the most glorious gardens in the country. They also interact with our many visitors and act as advocates for the charitable work of the Society.
Applicants should have a passion for horticulture and gardening, enjoy working in an outdoor situation and be reasonably physically fit (garden tasks can be physically demanding). A basic knowledge of ornamental plants is also desirable.
Please read the Garden Volunteer Role Description for more details about the role which can be downloaded below.
We ask that Garden Volunteers give a commitment of one day (from 10am to 4pm i.e. five hours volunteering plus an hour for lunch) per week on a regular basis. We do, of course, understand that life will sometimes get in the way, but it is important that applicants think about how much time they can realistically spend with us before filling in an application.
To apply, please complete an online application form by visiting our website via the link. Please note this will take you through to Better Impact, our Volunteer Database where you will be prompted to create a log in before progressing to the application form. If you have any questions please email Diana Turton.
All applications should be received by 4pm on Friday 30 June 2017.
Interviews will be held between Monday 17 July and Wednesday 26 July at RHS Garden Wisley and applicants will receive an email response during the week commencing 31 July 2017.