Astronomy Family Workshops Volunteer
Role Description: Astronomy Family Workshops Volunteer
Royal Observatory Greenwich (ROG) has a popular programme of astronomy workshops for families. We are looking for committed and knowledgeable volunteers to help support both our Young Astronomers’ Workshop and our team of Solar Observing Volunteers when they run public viewings. By becoming an Astronomy Family Workshop Volunteer you will gain experience in both practical and classroom-based astronomy, as well as the customer care skills needed at a busy World Heritage Site.
Observatory Public Engagement Officer
Observatory Public Engagement Manager
- Support the delivery of the Young Astronomers’ Workshop and other family activities around ROG
- Respond to requests for support at daytime solar events
- Welcome and assist visitors, ensuring they have an enjoyable experience and occasionally help to evaluation these activities
- Attend training sessions on the use of a range of telescopes
- Help the astronomers or other volunteers to set up and take down any necessary equipment
- Ensure that records are kept of the numbers of visitors taking part in activities
- Take down and store equipment in accordance with good practice
What we’re looking for in you:
- Excellent communication skills, friendly and confident about approaching audiences of all ages and backgrounds
- Knowledge about astronomy, being interested in both the latest developments and the history
- Ability to be independent and use your initiative
- Enthusiasm, dedication and reliability
- Some familiarity with small telescopes and experience of solar observing desirable
What’s in it for you?
- The opportunity to develop skills in practical and classroom-based astronomy
- Experience of volunteering in a busy learning team
- Experience of volunteering with the general public, families and adults Development of communication and customer service skills at a busy World Heritage Site
- You will have access to discounts in our shops and cafes and be able to include the experience you have gained in communicating astronomy at a national museum on your CV.
We are aiming to recruit a team of volunteers to this role. When applying please tell us if there are any parts of this role that especially interest you.
Overall we’d like each volunteer to give a minimum of two weekend hours per month, typically in the family workshops. Each session lasts four hours, from 12.30 to 16.30
In addition we’re looking for ad hoc support on weekdays and weekends for one-off events.
How to apply:
To apply please forward a covering letter and CV, together with our Diversity Monitoring Form found on the website, to email@example.com
If you do not have a CV please complete an application form instead.
Emailed applications are preferred. Alternatively apply by post:
Helen Webb, Volunteer Manager
Royal Museums Greenwich
London SE10 9NF
If you have any questions about this voluntary role please phone Helen Webb on 020 8312 6543
Closing date: Monday 12 June 2017