Cutty Sark Ship Keeping Volunteer
Role Description: Cutty Sark Ship Keeping Volunteer
Coordinated by: Senior Ship Keeping Technician
Purpose of role:
The Cutty Sark team are looking for help with the maintenance of this beautiful ship. You will be given appropriate training and gain experience in the daily maintenance
of a historic ship and world-class visitor attraction. You will also have access to discounts in all RMG shops and cafes, and be able to include experience gained at the Cutty Sark on your CV.
- To assist with ‘housekeeping’ including; polishing, varnishing, sanding, cleaning the weather deck and deck houses, other cleaning as required and tidying the ropes
- To assist Ship Keeping team with the cleanliness and good presentation of the ship
- While volunteering, to maintain the safety and security of staff and visitors, exhibits and the ship, as well as the visitor route
- Most of your volunteering will be based outdoors
What we’re looking for in our volunteers:
- Manual dexterity and some experience of the skills described
- Woodworking skills or similar (such as sanding or varnishing) would be desirable
- Reliability and good time-keeping skills
- A flexible approach to working as part of a team
- Ability to carry out a task without supervision
- Good communication skills
What’s in it for you?
- The opportunity to learn about the maintenance of a famous historic ship
- Gaining woodworking skills
- Experience of working in a busy heritage attraction
- Experience of working with the general public, families and young people
- Experience of working as part of a team
- Development of communication skills with visitors
Our ship keeping volunteers meet on a Wednesday. We ask that our volunteers commit to at least 5 hours volunteering per week, and stay for a minimum of three months in the first instance. The hours are generally 8.00 to 13.00.
Travel can be reimbursed up to a limit of £10 per return journey (conditions apply). Please note we are unable to provide parking facilities.
How to apply:
To apply please forward a covering letter and CV, together with our Diversity Monitoring Form found on the website, to email@example.com.
If you are sending a CV it is not necessary to complete an application form as well.
Emailed applications are preferred. Alternatively apply by post to:
Helen Webb, Volunteer Manager
Royal Museums Greenwich
Park Row, Greenwich
London, SE10 9NF
If you have any questions about this role please phone Helen Webb on 020 8312 6543.
Closing date: Tuesday 30 May 2017