Cutty Sark Theatre Volunteer
Role Description: Cutty Sark Theatre Volunteer
The Cutty Sark Theatre is looking for people to join our friendly and dedicated team of volunteers! If you love the theatre, have a passion for the arts, comedy and performance and would enjoy volunteering alongside our knowledgeable and experienced volunteers and staff, we’d really like to hear from you.
The intimate Michael Edwards Studio Theatre is situated in the cargo hold of Cutty Sark; an eclectic theatre space, unique in the world and perfect for cabaret, comedy, one-person shows, lectures and musical performances. The stunning Sammy Offer Gallery can be found underneath the ship’s copper hull, hosts a wide range of high-profile concerts and special events including opera, dance and theatre. We are looking for volunteers to come and help create an unforgettable atmosphere and experience for our guests. Your role will be varied, from helping prepare dressing rooms to directing audience members to their seats; but you will find yourself amongst the action of the performance. You will however be placed where business need is greatest.
You need to be approachable and friendly, and willing to volunteer during our theatre seasons which run through April, July, October and November with special events throughout the year. You will gain excellent experience in customer service, be able to watch performances and see first-hand how a theatre production is run, additionally you will have access to discounts in our shops and cafes.
Coordinated by: Visitor Experience Event Manager
- Offer an engaging and friendly welcome to visitors and help them to get the most out of their visit
- Help to prepare the shows by putting out signage, barriers and setting up the dressing room
- Proactively prevent disturbances during the performance by discretely stopping flash photography
- Help visitors find their way around the site, usher them into their seats and answer questions about the performances and future events
- Assist with any access needs if required
- Understand the conservation requirements within the Theatre Space and be a presence to help prevent these requirements being broken – for example no food or drink in the Theatre Space or smoking on Main Deck
- Assist in the closing of the venue by checking for lost property, litter and that the venue is clear of visitors
What we’re looking for in you:
- Excellent communication and strong interpersonal skills
- A passion for excellent customer service
- Outgoing and friendly manner
- An interest in theatre and the arts
- A flexible approach to volunteering as part of a team
- Able to help visitors to the ship for up to 2 hours at a time; some of your volunteering may be based outdoors
- Being reliable, responsible and trustworthy
- While experience in similar roles is desirable it is not expected
You will need to be willing to volunteer during any of the theatre seasons which run through April, July, October and November with special events throughout the year for at least three seasons. Performances during these seasons will often be on consecutive nights volunteering from 18:30 to 23:30. Volunteering for part of the evening may be possible if a 23:30 finish is an issue.
Can be reimbursed up to a limit of £10 per return journey (conditions apply) and there are discounts in our cafes and shops. Please note we are unable to provide parking facilities.
How to apply:
To apply please forward a covering letter and CV, together with our Diversity Monitoring Form found on the website, to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you do not have a CV please complete an application form instead.
Emailed applications are preferred. Alternatively apply by post:
Helen Webb, Volunteer Manager
Royal Museums Greenwich
London SE10 9NF
If you have any questions about this voluntary role please phone Helen Webb on 020 8312 6543
We need a large team of people to help and we are expecting a lot of interest in this role, so do not miss out!
Closing date: 30 May