Visitor Services Volunteer
- To help the Harlow Carr Visitor Services team provide a warm welcome to visitors at the main garden entrance. Volunteers will engage with visitors and let them know what is happening in the garden that day and promote RHS membership to non-members.
- To provide a warm “goodbye” to the visitors leaving.
- To assist the Visitor Services Team in issuing electric mobility vehicles (pre-booked) and wheelchairs to visitors.
- To assist the Visitor Services team to ensure that the presentation of the garden entrance and front of house areas is to a good standard at all times, including ensuring that leaflets and other promotional resources are fully stocked and look clean and tidy.
- To be knowledgeable about RHS membership costs and benefits and be able to promote its benefits to visitors, thereby helping to enhance membership recruitment.
- To actively promote the RHS and act as its ambassador to encourage repeat visits.
- To share best practice. If you have found something that worked very well for you in your role, please let us know so that we can share it amongst other volunteers.
- To assist with the training of new volunteers.
- To be part of the Visitor Services Team for the Harlow Carr Flower Show and carry out other tasks as required.
- Weekends are naturally the busier times for visitors coming to the garden, so ideally our volunteers would be willing to volunteer occasionally on a Saturday or Sunday.
- Outgoing, with very good communication skills and comfortable dealing with the public, including speaking to groups, listening and answering questions.
- Ability to retain information and to continually learn new information as circumstances change.
- Enjoy working in a team and to be solution focussed.
- To be customer-focussed and have an understanding of the importance of good customer service.
- The ability to stay happy, smiley and welcoming no matter how busy we are or no matter how bad the weather is.
- To be reasonably physically fit (role involves being on your feet for long periods)
- We are looking for people who can commit to giving the RHS a minimum 1 day per fortnight on a rostered basis. To fulfil our needs, we ask volunteers to attend team briefings 10 minutes before the garden opening time. This means that volunteer hours will be 9.20am to 4.30pm with 2 x 10 minutes breaks and half an hour for lunch at an agreed time.
- During event days such as the Flower Show we may ask if you would be able to stay longer. On quiet days other assistance will be requested of you by the Visitor Services Team Leader. This may include activities such as filling up leaflet dispensers, tidying the membership desks, and preparing for busy times.
- You will be given training in the tasks that you are asked to carry out and any information that you may need to carry out your role.
The Benefits for You
- Develop your communications, customer service and organisational skills.
- Gain events experience and add to your CV.
- Meet like-minded people and be part of a fun, enthusiastic team.
- Learn more about the RHS charity and how to get involved.
- You are able to claim back transport expenses up to a max £15 (round trip) for public transport, or a 30 mile round trip at 45p per mile per volunteering day
- Access to RHS gardens
- Two complimentary RHS show tickets (for Cardiff, Hampton Court Palace and Tatton Park Flower Shows) are also available for those volunteers who complete 50 volunteering hours over a 12 month period from February to January.