Functional Skills Administrator
4 days left
- Long Term
Title: Functional Skills Administrator
Team: Functional Skills Team
Location: Westminster, Camberwell, Shepherd’s Bush
Support and supervision from: Functional Skills Tutor
Time Commitment: One to two days a week (Monday – Friday)
What does Centrepoint do?
Centrepoint is the UKs leading charity for homeless young people. We have accommodation services in London, Bradford and the North East and support more than 9,000 homeless 16-25 year olds each year. Centrepoint realises that it takes more than just a bed to put an end to homelessness – so we work with each of our young people to ensure that they have access to education and training opportunities, become physically and mentally healthy and gain the essential life skills needed to escape homelessness for good.
What team will you be supporting and what do they do?
You will be meeting with young people, enrolling them on to the Math and English program and invigilating exams with those who are at the end of their course. You will be a part of the Functional Skills Team and will be supported by the full time Functional Skills Tutors. You will also need to be able to sometimes work independently and be able to keep good communication with young people, their key workers and the tutors.
The Functional Skills Team runs Math and English courses for young people who are living in Centrepoint accommodation as well as external young people who are socially excluded and at risk of homelessness. The students sit exams at the end of their course and gain Functional Skills qualifications, from Entry 1 to Level 2 (equivalent to a C at GCSE). These allow them to move into work or further education and training.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Meeting with students who have started the course, to complete enrolment and paperwork with them.
- Invigilating 1 to 1 exams with students; volunteers will receive training for this.
- Communicating with students, key workers and tutors via phone and email, to ensure they are fully enrolled on to the course.
Volunteers should meet the following criteria
- Good organisational and communication skills
- An approachable and professional attitude
- A passion for supporting young people into education and employment
- A commitment to demonstrating Centrepoint’s values; Humility, Focused, Entrepreneurial, Integrity, Energy and Accountable
- Experience of working within education
- An understanding of teaching and exam practices
- Experience of working with vulnerable young people
Support for volunteers
Volunteers receive the following support throughout their volunteering:
- Structured induction and training
- Ongoing support and supervision from the volunteering team
- Ongoing support and supervision from your supervisor
- Access to further training
- Travel and other reasonable expenses reimbursed